Why the switch from Kharma/Tenor to DarTZeel/VSA

Perhaps, its like that old joke that Woody talks about in the beginning of Annie Hall:

"And it goes like this-I'm paraphrasing: Uh ...
"I would never wanna belong to any club
that would have someone like me for a
member." "

But, why does it seem that some of the original Kharma/Tenor/emm labs club members are switching over to DarTZeel amps and Von Schweikert speakers. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like there are many Tenor hybrids or Kharma speakers going up for sale ... yet
thom_y
Back to the question from Thom: I had the opportunity to A/B the DartTzeel side by side with the Tenor 300's, for an extended period. I purchased the DartTzeel, not out of any problems with the Tenors but because in my system the Dart sounded better. Quieter, more dynamic, equally if not more adept at staging, and the sweetest amp I have heard. No ss amp, or tube for that matter renders instruments and voice with such lifelike realism. The extremes are beautifully represented with deep powerful bass and shimmering highs without any brightness or etching. The Tenor is an outstanding amp, but in my system the DarTzeel sounds better. I know Mike feels differently, and that's OK. I'm OK with agreeing to disagree. I also have ordered a pair of Von Schweikert VR-9's after having heard some of the other speakers in the line, although obviously I haven't heard the 9 since none have been finished yet. I have the jr's as an interim while the 9's are being built, and if I hadn't paid for the 9's already, might have just kept the jr's. Dynamic, musical, very good bass for the size, and imaging demons. I also heard them in NY at the show, and although quite impressive, that demo didn't really exploit what the speaker can do. I was in the fortunate position to have the Tenors and DarTzeel still in my possesion as well as the jr's and Kharma Midi Grands, and had a lot fun playing. The Kharma's are a beautiful speaker, but to my ear other than being slightly more refined, had nothing on the jr's, which frankly was quite a surprise. This isn't comparing the $120K 11's to the Midi Grand, this is the $3995 jr. This is a killer little speaker and continues to knock my socks off. So to answer your question Thom, I changed because I had the opportunity to demo various combinations between 2 amps and 2 pairs of speakers, and found unequivicaly I preferred the DarTzeel/VS combo.Which is not to take anything from the Tenors or Mids's, both extraordinary in their own right, and those owning them may well disagree with me and prefer what they have. And that's OK too. Good on ya. And other than lugging heavy gear up and down steps to my listening room, it was fun as hell.
Hi Mark,
How would you compare the Von Sweikerts to the Piega p10's you used to own? That's what i have now and just curious....
Hey Mark, again great post.

I need to call you so send me an email again with your number as I misplaced it.

Michael
This is a great thread....but I am a bit troubled by the comments made by Tpsonic regarding the V-6 switch-a-rue and no one else commenting one way or the other. I am not taking any sides...only wondering if anyone else knows of this?