Dedicated Line, Surge and Safety

As I'm getting ready to have a dedicated line installed a few safety quesions have come to mind.

1)Will 10-2 wire conduct a stronger surge and increase the risk for damage?

2)Every electrician,besides my electrician,says that using 10-2 wire is overkill and my house will get set on fire. Certainly this is not desireable but all authorities on dedicated lines I've consulted suggest 10-2.

What's the bottom line on dedicated line safety?

Thanks - Jack
gooddomino
I'm glad this question was asked as I am thinking about placing dedicated lines in my house as well.
Shopsmartjazz, The Belden 83000 Series cables can be bought in 100'+ spools from a couple of industrial/commercial suppliers. I do just that, "cure" the Teflon insulations with my EST process, then chop them into custom lengths to resell to you guys on A'gon. It's a whore's business, taking over my office workshop with various unspooled lengths everywhere. Ellen won't even go in there anymore (hmmm....), but I figure somebody's got to do it. This cable is very expensive as commercial stuff goes, given its complete Teflon construction and double-shielding. Even the outer jacket is Teflon, so it's an installer's dream. Belden explains that the 9AWG costs nearly double the 12AWG because there's no real cost saving in doubling the materials because it's offset by the difficulty in making such a hefty cable with fluorocarbon insulations. Teflons sell for $7/lb, vs a few percent of that for PVC. And as we know, oftentimes you CAN hear the difference. I'm not sure that the benefits of using the 12AWG version cable on big amps will offset the possible advantage of 10AWG, but that's why having the 9AWG version is nice, especially for short PCs on my PoBoxes, for example. But using the 12AWG on a dedicated line for preamps, DACs, etc., can be quite beneficial.
(Disclaimer, etc.) Cheers...and Happy Holidays.
To follow up on what Ernie just said, I ended up having him help me make a custom 4-way box with an in-line switch (60A) using the 9AWG Belden (on the 10AWG Romex line). I used this box for my amps. A simliar box (was that a 40A switch, Ern?) was made for the pre/source components using 12AWG Belden on the 12AWG line. I have PS Audio Ultimate Outlets on each line, so a new extension cord was made for each, using 12AWG and 9AWG Belden wire. Both boxes, the non-high current UO, and all wall outlets use PorterPorts from Albert.

I did not have the luxury of carefully auditioning each component (for one thing, my outlets are behind a very heavy entertainment cabinet), but the overall effect is a very noticeable improvement over my prior setup.

Tom.