McCormack or Pass Labs

Yes, I appear to be waffling on a purchase for those of you checking my posts - guilty as charged.

I am in the process of looking for a new power amp. I thought I had made up my mind on a Pass X-250, but someone put a bug in my ear regarding McCormack products.

Does anyone have an opinion as to how the Pass would stack up against a McCormack DNA-225 or a DNA-2 deluxe with an "A" upgrade?

The 225 I will be able to audition locally, probably against the Pass, but the DNA 2 is, I believe, no longer available new.

Thanks again - I swear I will eventually shut up and buy something!

J
jwilt
I had both, for a short time, the McCormack DNA-2 RevA & the Pass Labs X-350.
While both are excellent amps,
I preferred the McCormack seemingly complete control and authority over all aspects of the music.
And unless you need a room heater (X-350), the McCormack is also cheaper, cooler, biwire capable, but not as pretty.
Jwilt, when browsing some old posts here on Audiogon I came across one about leaving your Pass Labs amp on all the time. I tried it on my X150 recently and can honestly say that to really hear the full potential of your X250 leave it powered up. At least give it a try, I think you'll be as surprised as I was.

-Dan
Dan: I think that's basically true of any piece of gear - including any amp - to a greater or lesser extent. Obviously no one's going to leave their tube amp always on though. My McCormack defintitely sounds best if I don't turn it off, but the lack of an output mute switch makes me a little apprehensive that the speakers could be damaged if something untoward were to transpire on the powerline while the system was unattended. (Not that I could probably do anything if that were to occur while I was in the room... :-)
Zaikesman: I had heard that some components should be left on to sound their best. I thought it had more to do with their design. As for the Pass, I thought standy mode was sufficient for this. However, the amp must be fully powered up to reach it's idle state. I'm just surprised in the performance difference when doing so.

As for leaving the McCormack powered up, I never tried it with mine. I'll let my brother know about it, he bought my DNA 1 Deluxe off me.