Question for Rowland aficionados

I've been playing with an old Rowland Model One. In my system, it sounds dark and closed in on top, a bit grainy, but it also reproduces the most extraordinary intrumental tone, so lifelike that it oftens fools me in the "that sounds just like a real saxophone" way. My Pass 150 never does this, nor does my CJ 11a (to the same extent that the Rowland does). This could be just great system synergy that's going on, but I'm betting it's a characteristic of the Rowland.

So here's my question: is this a quality of other Rowland amps? As the line has evolved since the Model One, how has the sound changed? I want that lifelike tone with, of course, a bit more extension on top and so forth.

I might as well also ask: which other amplifiers (other brands) do you think can deliver this uncanny lifelike quality?

-Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
This brings up the great debate: Does one piece of electronics produce more of the musical reality? Or, is this just an enrichment of fatter-sounding harmonics, or some type of additive, that lead our ears to hear it was more real?

A tough question, and one that probably can't be answered definitively. In my own audiophile quest, I don't care any more. If it sounds more like music to me, even if it is added harmonics, etc. ---- I'll take it.

No electronic piece reproduces accuracy. They all miss the mark and have their individual sonic thumbprint. If a piece of electronics makes 90% of my music collection sound more real, involves me in the music more, that is the litmus test for me.
I am a fan of Rowland stuff. Currently using a pair of Model 3 monos, and a Consonance preamp in my system. Yes it sounds very natural, a Rowland signature. It may not jump out at you like some other amps would at first impression but it's a sound that will only grow on you. I belong to a local audio society and have many opportunities to listen to other "very expensive" systems, but always have found that I much prefer the naturalness of my system. If you like to listen to music rather than sounds, you can't go wrong with Rowland. Another thing, they have excellent service. I sent it my preamp when it has a minor problem (I bought it used) and Jeff Rowland worked on it himself. He even spent time trouble-shooting with me on the phone, and when it was in for service, upgraded it to current specs for a very minimal charge. Great folks to deal with.
Maybe I can ask this question without hijacking Drubin's thread(!) :-

Re. the new Model 201 monos: are they class-D power amps?? They are very light for 250W/ch! Plus, I don't see much heat-sinking fins on the chassis.

Has any one of you JRDG aficionados heard the Model 201 &/or the Model 302?? How do they sound compared to some of the other models. BTW, I have just a little experience with the Model 10. Thanks!
Just a quick update: I searched these archives & found some info on the 302 & 201. I should have done that 1st before posting. Sorry!
However, if anyone has any new updates on these 2 new models, I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks!
I am using a Concentra II as phono and preamp with a pair of the 201 amps. Relative to my Concentra alone, this is much faster, more dynamic and quiet. My wife says it sounds livelier.
There is no heat sink anywhere. They weigh only 13 lbs. apiece and they never get warmer than body temperature.
Mine are still breaking in as I've only had them about 10 days and rumor has it that they don't come into their own for about 500 hrs, of use.
I would encourage anyone who is curious to investigate these new amps. They appear to be a groundbreaking design.