Blue Circle 21.1 vs Eastern Electric Minimax

Seems there are plenty of fans in each of these camps, just wanted to hear the pros and cons. Am looking for an inexpensive but high-performing tube pre that is close to neutral but still provides a bit of tube magic, and these two have made it to my short list.
BTW, the BC I am looking at is with remote, not Shallco... is there convincing argument that Shallco is noticeably better? And I know Minimax is not remote, but it is cheaper.
kck
Kck,

If you made it through that review, I should also add that I heard the BC21.1 playing through a BC28 to Martin Logan Aerius speakers in the Blue Circle room at the last Vegas CES. The sound was much less colored than what I listen to, but still with that "Blue Circle" character.

The BC21.1 has some upgraded internals, but the main changes are the two 6922 tubes instead of the 6SN7 which are used in my BC21. Kevin Allen agrees that the lower midrange, upper bass hump I'm experiencing is due to the character of these tubes, so the BC21.1 shouldn't exhibit this nature. I didn't detect it when I heard the BC21.1. Also, if you opt for the Shallco attenuator and not the remote volume control even more refinement should be realized. I understand Gilbert Yeung can even install different Shallcos with varying amounts of attenuation depending on how many steps or changes in gain you want.

Good luck!
Dean, many thanks for coming through; the check is in the mail! Whew, made it through the review, and found it interesting that you also included the BAT, which was on my list last week but has been slowly sliding off due to its reputed high level of warmth (physical, not audible - I understand it needs space, space, and I am probably needing a cooler running pre in my setup). I know, not an audiophile type of thing, but if any of you have a perfect environment, let me know...
I have a used BC 21.1 coming in next week. Unfortunately it has the remote, not Shallco. The remote is a selling point for me, being a lazy-@$$.
I did like your description of the BAT sound. My cup of chai, with perhaps a bit extra sugar. Well, I will listen to the BC and let you guys know what I think. I must add that I am funds-limited so cost is an issue, and that precludes buying 3 or 4 units to audition, selling all but one at a loss. Yes, I try to follow the buy low, sell low design, but it does not always work out. I might consider the BAT if the BC doesn't make my earth move.

Now I am going to stick my neck out and ask you a question. How much did you consider the syndrome of "my baby is the prettiest" when doing this comparo? If you did, did you take compensating steps? Yeah, review = subjective and all, I know. Anyway, that is really a rhetorical question; there is no answer, correct or otherwise.

Thanks again. Audiogon good. Stereo Review bad.
Gunbei,

Did you know the Mini Max inverts phase in some components?
I spent the past two days with several folks critically listening to several pieces of audio equipment with the Mini Max. Each time we swapped out components we checked and corrected the phase. This may explain why the Mini Max did not sound good in your system.

Everyone, who listened to the Mini Max, agreed it was one of the best pre-amps we have heard especially with upgraded tubes. Yes, it doesn't have a remote, but my cdp remote does work well.
Thanks for the tip Taypfiji, I'll have to check that out.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but actually I thought the MiniMax sounded quite good. It just wasn't the type of sound I find the most enjoyable.

I think the MiniMax deserves another testing. Thanks!
I own a Mini Max and drive a pair of thiel 3.5's with a moscode 300 amp. I love the max's soundstage,palpability and resolution! This one is destined to be a classic.