Suggestions for someone who wants to get in tubes

I have been a ss owner and would not like to venture into the world of tubes.

Can anyone recommend a good starting set-up? I was thinking of integrated tube and tubey speakers. ON a budget... say hmm... $2,000
tcco42ff
A tube pre-amp into a ss power amp is the easiest thing to do.
Mine is based on the 12au7 (a triode tube) and it is the one component in my system I wouldn't give up. Make it simple; no tone controls, no balance control, etc.
For a really good "first step" into the tube world, JUMP on one of the Cayin TA-30's that are currently for sale her on the 'goN!! I have owned numerous SS and tube amps over the years, and I consider the Cayin TA-30 Integrated amp to be my all-time greatest recommendation for "bang-for-the-buck"!!

Paul at BizzyBee Audio has several for sale @$499 for brand new units that have slight damage to the outer shipping container. They are in perfect new condition w/full factory warranty, but are heavily discounted for the "slight" box damage.

This is a nice unit as it is very flexible and sounds very good. It produces 30-35 w/ch. in P-P mode or, you can remove one of the output tubes from each channel to run in SE mode at 2-4 w/ch. BTW, it sounds very good in P-P mode and EXCELLENT in SE.

Additionally, for a reasonable fee, Paul will add an external bias modification and a "focus" modification. I would seriously consider these mods to make the amp more pactical to use.

OK, now you have plenty of money left over for speakers. You could likely get by with any speaker over about 88-89 db eff in P-P mode, but for SE, you may want to try a higher eff. design. There are lots of really good speakers available in your price range. Personally, I have the Reference 3A MM Decapos and love them. You can buy them used for $1200 or so. I also have a pair of JPO Memorial/Diatone single driver speakers that work really well with the Cayin in SE mode.

BTW, I have zero relationship with Paul or BizzyBee. I'm just a tremendoulsy satisfied customer! The Cayin TA-30 works well for me, in my system. I've owned several other "budget" tube integrated amps and I think the Cayin TA-30 is easily the best value and the best sounding!

Enjoy the hunt!!!

TIC
What gear do you have now? The first couple of suggestions are great but it depends on what you have now. How efficient are your speakers? The more efficient, the more choices you will have.

I don't recommend starting with an integrated because upgrading gets into selling and starting over.
Tubed preamp matched with SS power amp is the best way to start with tubes IMHO.There's quite a few tube preamps out there for around $500.00 or less.Cary,Audio Note,Jolida,Golden tube,Conrad Johnson all can be had used in this price range. New ..I can't think of better bang for the buck than the Dared SL-2000a.Whisper quiet in my system ...the tubes aren't taxed to heavy either.Uses a tube as a rectifier instead of a SS rectifier.Has a smooth and natural sound plus it comes with a little radio frequency remote.Not bad for $300.00 bucks.

Good Luck with the search...I think it's the funniest part!
Forget the 'tube pre, SS power' combo and hybrid integrateds. The individuals who believe that is 'tube' sound, are deluding themselves. No SS power amp comes to sounding like a tube amp

A number of manufacturers like ASL and Jolida manufacture affordable integrateds that can sound quite decent when matched to suitable speakers. Try get something that is switch able between triode and ultraliniar (or pentode) and switchable between 4 and 8 ohm speakers. I don’t know if the less expensive amps have adjustable feedback, but the more adjustments the amp has the more you can fine-tune it to your tastes.

Look for speakers that have a relatively flat impedance curve. Most new tube amps can drive 4 ohm speakers no problem, but seem to have a hard time when the impedance varies a lot through the frequency range. Don't get speakers that drop below 4 ohms. Also you should get speaker with at least an 88 db efficiency as that will allow you to use an amp with as little as 20-25wpc, which will save you money.

Good luck and remember, tubes rule
Pauly