Reference DACS: An overall perspective

There has been many threads the last few months regarding the sonic signature of some of the highest regarded reference DACS (Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) here on the GON. I have been very fortunate to audtion many of these wonderful pieces in my home or friend's systems. I wanted to share, in a systematic way, my impressions/opinions with you GON members for a two reasons: 1)That my experiences might be helpful to fellow members interested in audtioning these DACS. 2)Starting an interesting discussion regarding the different "sonic flavors" of these reference digital front ends. I totally agree with the statement, "if you have not heard it you don't have an opinion". Therefore, I have no comments regarding DACS from Weiss,Goldmund,Audio Aero and Burmester because I have never had the pleasure of audtioning them. I would love to hear from members who have and share their experiences with us. My overall impression is that these DACS(Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) can be grouped into two molar categories regarding their overall sonic signature. By the way, all of them can throw a large/deep soundstage with excellent layering in the acoustic space with "air" around individual players on that stage. However, than they start to part company into two major categories. Category #1) These DACS "flavors" revolve around pristine clarity, fine sharp details,speed,very extended top/bottom frequencies,and great PRAT. These DACS never sound "etched" or "in your face" but are more "upfront" then "layed back" in their presentation. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Dcs,Ensemble,Meitner. My personnal favorite in this group is the Ensemble, which I owned for two years. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Wilson,Thiel,Dynaudio, Focal/JM Labs. Category #2) These DACS "flavors" revolve around a "musical/organic" sense, natural timbres,and an easy flowing liquidity. Their "less forward" presentation my give the impression of less detail, but I think in this case its an illusion fostered by their more relaxed/organic manner. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts. I did find that the tube DACS did not have the top/bottom frequency extenstion and PRAT of the SS DACS in this bracket. For me, the Accustic Arts DAC1-MK3 gave me the best of both categories, therefore it is now the resident DAC in my system. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Magnepan,Von Schweikert,Sonus Faber. Well, it's all just my opinion regarding these digital pieces, but I hope this post was at least informative/somewhat interesting and would lend itself to other GON members sharing their impressions, not about what DAC is the "BEST" in the world, but your personnal taste and synergy with your system.
teajay
Gliderguider,
I think you might be right; Audio Note and Zanden are both on my wish list of digital that I want to hear in my system. What can I do to get you to make the drive south? :-)
You could come and watch the Sens beat the crap out of the Leafs (again).
Hi guys...set up a new thread if you are interested. Which players make poorly recorded redbook CDs sound the best?
I've been using the CDSD for two days now via the ST Glass cables.
I will be getting a BNC cable this weekend to try in a set-up along with the Stealth AES/EBU.
I am getting very good sound from the EMM Combo. It is easily the best digital that I have heard in my system.
The next step will be to try the Stealth cable. My expectation is that it will be better. Then again, my expectations are usually incorrect.

Next month I have been offered the Weiss Medea/Jason to try in my system. That was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. I will be sure to report my findings to the thread.
Hi, to all of you. I just had the pleasure of moving into my new home, which was designed to be a total open design for my system. 18 foot walls with a 23 foot ceiling and just about perfect regarding not being too bright or damped in the 30 by 50 living space.

Also, had dedicated circuits installed for the system. The real killer is its the first time I could have my MG-20r's five and a half feet off the back wall and still be able to sit at least 12 to 14 feet off of them.

The change is just beautiful to behold and listen to, my sound stage is now the most realistic I have ever heard in my own home with breathtaking air around each individual player. The great virtues of details, natural timbres, and deep powerful tuneful bass that my system had before are now even more combined in a giant/natural soundstage with individual players staying the right size in the soundstage.

My girlfriend, and co-owner of the house, Amor designed our home around the "big rig" so the acoustic space was a major factor. Got to love her for that! No WAF in play around the setup in this house. I'm a lucky audiophile ain't I!

This news was a little off the track of DACS, but wanted to share my great fortune of sonics with the fellows who on a regular basis share on this thread. Time to go back and listen to some Johnny Griffin blowing some great jazz.
Exlibris, good to hear that CDSD arrived! It will be very interesting to hear your impression about Weiss combo... Only one hint-you will need TWO AES/EBU cables(identical ones) for best possible sound. Without them you will not hear complete Weiss potential.
In two weeks time I will receive Esoteric D-01/P-01/G-0s combo and of course-report here is mandatory! Krell EVO 505 will arrive in my systems in early April... EMMLabs gear-hope to have them in March...