Preamps: Rogue v. VTL v. Blue Circle

OK, I am a bit of all over the map in terms of price, but I am looking for best value, not necessarily within a specific budget. WOuld like to be under $2K though. Buying used.
My candidates are:
Rogue 66 and 99 Magnums
VTL 2.5 and 5.5 (someone told me the VTLs have reliability issues. True?)
Blue Circle 21.1

No phono required. Where would you cast your votes in terms of value? I like a transparent enough, but not too revealing preamp, slight tubey character but not too much, and large soundstage depth and width. Good extension on both ends also a factor.
Help?
kck
I think Devon may be on to something with his suggestion of going with a used Galatea instead of the BC21.1.

The BC21.1 is a replacement of the BC21 which I own. The main differences are the use of two 6922 tubes instead of the two 6SN7s in the BC21, but that was necessitated by the lack of quality 6SN7 tubes. The other difference is the addition of the Shallco attenuator.

A used Galatea mkI also has an improved external power supply which should give it an edge over the BC21.1.

I like a tubey sound in my preamp so I'm contemplating having my BC21 outfitted with the BC21.1 improvements and incorporating an external power supply as well.

Recently, I've been comparing several different "best value" preamps and one that may fit your sonic criteria is the BAT VK3i. It has a very expanded soundstage and a slightly tubey nature unlike the rounder sounding BC21. It's a large piece of gear and accepts only balanced connections, so I'm not sure if this is something that will work for you.

Good luck!
There is currently a BC3 Despina on auction, here on Audiogon. Believe me when I say that you will be very hard pressed to find a better tube preamp for under $2000. They are an absolute steal on the used market.

The Galatea(same preamp with better power supply), is superior, but the Despina is almost as good.
I'll throw in for the 2.5 VTL (paid $1,300 w/phono). Haven't had a BC in my system, but I haven't had any reliability issues with the 2.5. I swapped out the stock 12au7 tubes with some NOS RCAs, and I've been happy with the results. I'm currently running this into a Rogue 88 (non-magnum). Very happy with the results.
I have a VTL 5.5 that is absolutely wonderful and seems to meet your qualifications like it was made for them. Bass could be fuller in my system but is it the room, do i need more amp? you know the drill there. Very open sounding preamp and in combo with VTL monos it is the least tuby tube set up i've heard next to ARC while still having the body and killer mids that tubes are known for..i.e. warm but not mushy. i've seen more than a few of them here for around $2k. I've had mine for about 4 yrs now. No problems and it still has original tubes in it.
<<< OK, I am a bit of all over the map in terms of price, but I am looking for best value, not necessarily within a specific budget. WOuld like to be under $2K though. Buying used.
My candidates are:
Rogue 66 and 99 Magnums
VTL 2.5 and 5.5 (someone told me the VTLs have reliability issues. True?)
Blue Circle 21.1

No phono required. Where would you cast your votes in terms of value? I like a transparent enough, but not too revealing preamp, slight tubey character but not too much, and large soundstage depth and width. Good extension on both ends also a factor.
Help? >>>

Your not going to find a VTL 5.5 for $2000 unless you find someone going bankrupt. And yes, I have had issues with VTL customer service.

May I suggest you also consider a BAT VK5i. True this pre is a bit outdated, but it will blow away the pre's that you have mentioned IMHO. And you can buy a VK5i on Audiogon for under $2000. Keep in mind this is a $4500 pre, new. I think you will find it has everything your looking for. I'm sure their are others that I have not listened to, that would also fit the bill.

Of those you have listed, I would put my money on Blue Circle. But You should try to demo a few of them in your home before deciding. When I first started in this crazy hobby, I listened to all the opinions of the stereo magazines, then I went out and listened to some systems. I found out that the stereo magazines writer's opinions differed from mine.

just my 2 cents worth :)

good luck!