Reference DACS: An overall perspective

There has been many threads the last few months regarding the sonic signature of some of the highest regarded reference DACS (Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) here on the GON. I have been very fortunate to audtion many of these wonderful pieces in my home or friend's systems. I wanted to share, in a systematic way, my impressions/opinions with you GON members for a two reasons: 1)That my experiences might be helpful to fellow members interested in audtioning these DACS. 2)Starting an interesting discussion regarding the different "sonic flavors" of these reference digital front ends. I totally agree with the statement, "if you have not heard it you don't have an opinion". Therefore, I have no comments regarding DACS from Weiss,Goldmund,Audio Aero and Burmester because I have never had the pleasure of audtioning them. I would love to hear from members who have and share their experiences with us. My overall impression is that these DACS(Dcs,Meitner,Ensemble,Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts) can be grouped into two molar categories regarding their overall sonic signature. By the way, all of them can throw a large/deep soundstage with excellent layering in the acoustic space with "air" around individual players on that stage. However, than they start to part company into two major categories. Category #1) These DACS "flavors" revolve around pristine clarity, fine sharp details,speed,very extended top/bottom frequencies,and great PRAT. These DACS never sound "etched" or "in your face" but are more "upfront" then "layed back" in their presentation. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Dcs,Ensemble,Meitner. My personnal favorite in this group is the Ensemble, which I owned for two years. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Wilson,Thiel,Dynaudio, Focal/JM Labs. Category #2) These DACS "flavors" revolve around a "musical/organic" sense, natural timbres,and an easy flowing liquidity. Their "less forward" presentation my give the impression of less detail, but I think in this case its an illusion fostered by their more relaxed/organic manner. The DACS, to my ear's, that go into this bracket are Audio Note,Zanden,Reimyo,Accustic Arts. I did find that the tube DACS did not have the top/bottom frequency extenstion and PRAT of the SS DACS in this bracket. For me, the Accustic Arts DAC1-MK3 gave me the best of both categories, therefore it is now the resident DAC in my system. These DACS remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Magnepan,Von Schweikert,Sonus Faber. Well, it's all just my opinion regarding these digital pieces, but I hope this post was at least informative/somewhat interesting and would lend itself to other GON members sharing their impressions, not about what DAC is the "BEST" in the world, but your personnal taste and synergy with your system.
teajay
Hi All,
This hs been a very interesting and gentlemanly thread, with few if any ego-massaging "mine is bettter than yours" posts. I currently have a first gen (non-USB) Emm DAC6 and CDSD. The sound is great. I especially really love multichannel sound, and my system, here on Audiogon under "getting there" reflects this. Having said that, I am trying to simplify everything. The first to go will be my Switchman 3, to be replaced by a Theta 6-shooter. I just bought an Esotric X-01, and plan extensive AB'ing with the EMM gear. Whichever I like best will stay, and the other goes. While I love the SACD sound, the titles that I like are few and far between, and i believe that SACD, if not dead, is on life support. It may stay on as a niche format, but no more than that. I will report my findings in the next few weeks.

David
Welcome back, David! It will be very interesting to hear about your findings in few weeks... Regarding Esoteric X-01, this player really benefites from after market power cords-so try to match some very good power cord with it. In my experience with Esoteric gear Acrolink, Siltech and Shunyata power cords work excellent with their digital stuff. Specially Shunyata Anaconda Helix Vx in a nice match with Esoteric X-01... Also do not be suprised if EMMLabs combo turns to be a winner, real competition IMO for it is new Esoteric D-03/P-03 combo(specially with G-0s external clock).
Teajay, just a little hint-Sextet is working more or less as you said in your review... That is very,very good thing.
More in few weeks...
George, Weiss Medea/Jason is allready world class digital combo(IMO one of the best currently on the market) and that phase inversion button version is truly without extra juice as you said. But, honestly I didn't expect something radicaly different and Medea(Phase inversion button version) was introduced with pro-market in mind( in a first place).
David, welcome to the WWX (Wonderful World of X-01)!
Seriously, put the baby on repeat play and let it play for a few weeks. Between 800 and 1000 hrs of redbook it will truly start to shine on your CDs. SACD will require somewhat shorter breakin afterwards.
Dear WWX members (Guidocorona and others)what do you think is happening after 800-1000hrs, I mean what is changing and how do you explain it?
I heard it from other people too about 800-1000 hrs for the Esoteric and I would like to investigate the reasons.

George.
George, there is no magic change between the 800 hrs and the 1K hrs break in mark in X-01. Rather, this is the time when a user will likely lift all residual reservations or qualification on the X-01 performance. When the product is brand new, the user is likely to notice a certain amount of tightness in the overall sound and a moderate to very significant amount of harshness in the treble. This will be noticeable in most CDs. As you break in the unit, there is progressive opening of the stage, frequency range extends, mids get fleshed out, harmonics ring more openly, and treble becomes more extended and clean. More and more CD listening experiences will move to the, good/excellent/glorious categories. You will find less and less CDs that you will categorize as problematic and etched. To make an example, my recording of the Dumka Piano Quintet Op. 81A by Antonin Dvorak played by the Tokyo Quartet et al. (CBS Masterworks MK 44920)
lost its treble etch at the 500 mark. Yet Lara St. John playing Bach works for violin solo on HDCD was still very unpleasant, and became not only listenable but downright glorious after just over 900 hrs of break in. And in my collection, this was the very last CD to hold out as a residual 'problem child'.
As for the nature of physical or electrical changes involved in electronics break in: I haven't the foggiest idea!