Audible Illusions Modulus 3A problems

I own an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A and it has the stepped attenuators. the right channel has started making very loud popping noises when changing settings. Once it is in a set static position it sounds fine. I used to be able to spray it with a cleaner and it would operate silently for a month or so but now it pops no matter what! I'm reluctant to send it back because I've heard horror stories about getting them back in ones own life time from the factory. Any suggestions ? Is this common? Any fixes? Is the factory the ONLY choice?
jothompson
I do not think this this will help, but I heard that AI3A's built prior to moving to the Swiss made attenuators had more of a problem with the noise you indicate. I heard in the beginning of the stepped attenuator introduction there were problems like you discribe. If you have the older attenuators you may be out of luck. This may be a blanket statement that may not apply to all AI3A's so don't take my word for it.

The spray you use helps, but it is only a temporary solution. I think to get new attenuators it's about $250. I read somewhere it is a easy change, but is only offered at Audible Illusions.

call AI and speak to Art... see if he can help.
Hello,
It can be something to do with the tubes. Try changing them to a known good quality set and see it would help. There were other tube preamplifiers I used to have that had similar problems. It turned out to be bad tubes.

Goodluck.

Tora
It appears that the switches internal contacts are beginning to loosen/break-down. Suggest you contact me regarding replacing the sub-assembly. Cost is $250 and now takes apx. 7-10 days. Regards, Jerry/AI Service Tech
I think the first response is correct. The same thing is true with my M3A, vintage 1998. Dust and dirt get into the attenuators producing noise when changing them. It has no effect on the performance. AI offers two deals: upgrade depending on year costs up to 850. Trading yours for a new one with AI costs 1390. IMHO, a little noise when changing the attenuator isn't worth either price presuming that the preamp is functioning correctly.