Tube Preamps under $1000 used

I'd like to hear form all you space cowboys out there. What do you think is the sweetest sounding, best built, sexiest, pre that a poor audio junkie can purchase on the used market for a maximum of $1000? Of course I'm interested personally and I will use this Forum to narrow my choices and develop and short list for audition. Thanks!
cmidnight
You're absolutely right Gunbei, but the maintenance is better than the alternative: I tried the more responsible and safe route, which would also keep things pretty neat and tidy, but the latex kept melting with the heat of the tubes (OUCH!). I gave up on the 6922's long ago. I prefer the more mature Bottlehead shots. Gotta love those curves!

Marco
I purchased a used Audio Research LS-2, and it sounds great. It will run you well under $1,000, probably about $600 or so, depending on model. (It used to be rated "A" by Stereophile about 10 years ago. Still sounds great to me.)

FYI: I use it with a Mark Levinson No. 23 amp, running the Revel Ultima Studios. My front end is a Basis 1400 TT, with RB 300 arm and Glider cartridge. It sounds very nice as a system.

Good Luck, and have fun assembling the system!
As an amendment to my previous posting, I should mention that the LS-2 is a line only pre-amp. I run a used Audio Research PH3 as my phono preamp. (It cost me $850).

(I don't want to give you the impression that it has a phono stage).

Mark
I haven't heard much from the crowd about CJ 10A. I mention this because on the used market they seem to be very reasonably priced. I'm sure there are better sounding amps but for 500-$600?
Try a Quicksilver full function preamp..oh for about $600, very stiff power supply and the midrange of tubes, well, you have to try it.