OTL amplifiers

Can anyone explain to me, in layman's terms, the advantages or disadvantages of OTL amplifiers? I have heard a lot about them, but have not listened to any to date. I am really a tube fan and want to reach tube nirvana and don't know if OTL is the way to go. Are they suitable for all types of music? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dfrigovt
Marakanetz, what is your problem? Did you EVER had chance to listen either SET or OTL designs? I noticed you were equaly 'angry' over SET amplifiers some time ago.
I'm OK with SET
I'm not OK with pricing of SETs that basically require a knowlege of elementary school graduate to build them. Should be at least 10x- cheaper. I'm not OK with pricing 300B triodes as well.
As to OTL's distortion-free listening I'm OK as well BTW SET and OTL are completely different since OTL-s use mostly push-pull circuits except probably for headphone amps.
It's not OK with me the rest of inconviniences and again pricing. I agree that Bearnings are priced OK and could be the exception from the rest of OTLs.

Now I do realy have a question about DC at the outpu on OTL-s... Is there an output capacitor I assume?
Oh boy, where to begin? Firstly, I should say that I have been an Atmasphere S30 owner for the past 4 years. It is simply the best amp I have owned. They have a speed and transparency that, IMHO, no transformer-based amp can match.

The original futterman design and the NYAL clones of Harvey Rosenberg where notoriously unreliable and unfortunatly this reputation plagues current OTL manufacturers to this day. I only have experience with atmasphere(AS) which has run flawlessly. AS/tenor/joule amps are NOT futterman designs/clones and it's unfair to lump them together under the banner of "OTL".

Regarding the heat issue, any class A amp, like AS, will run hot. This includes tube or solid state. Yes, the big AS amps (225 and 140 watts/ch mono) can mimic "space heaters" but in actuality, it is my understanding, that they run only 10% hotter than their class A solid state equivilents.

The big AS amps will drive 4 ohm loads easily. With the S30 and M60, speakers have to be chosen more carefully.

Finally, about price. My S30, as optioned, went for $3150. It smoked a pair of well known SET mono's that went for $6000. I don't want to call AS amps "bargins" because they are expensive, but for what you get I do think they are one of audio's best values.
One of the reasons I purchased Atma-Sphere M-60 amps was low tube cost. A speaker that is a good impedance match is a good idea, but can be overcome with the use of ZERO autoformers ZERO Autoformer Website. I couldn't be happier with the performance of my amp/speaker duo without the autoformers however. The Atma-Sphere's do everything I could ask for. I think they're incredible and I love them. In fact, they gave me the same warm fuzzy feeling I had when I met my wife.

I will have to agree with your Mar. I would also include resto of the Hi Fi products into the same category: OVERPRICED!