Horiz/Vert Biamping

I see many references to horizontal vs vertical biamping and the definitions seem to be contrary to how I would define these: I would define them as such:

Vertical: Defined as one amp for the Top freqs and another amp for the Bottom freqs.
Horizontal: Defined as one amp for the Left channel and another for the Right channel.

But these above definitions do not seem to be what anyone else here uses so I am curious as to why they are defined exactly the opposite.

And I can see there would be one major advantage for each situation. When the amps are matched, better channel separation would be expected if an amp is used for each channel. But to have an amp for the top and one for the bottom might bring on more openness in the mids and highs as the amp driving that range is not stressed by the low freq demands on the same power supplies in a stereo amp. I guess true dual-mono stereo amps would alleviate this or is this still not entirely the case? Or is it really a better way to go with a different amp optimal for each of the 2 freq ranges? And if so, what about synergy around the crossover point between the two amps' sonic differences?

Any thoughts or experiences here would be greatly appreciated. This mainly pertains to Magnepan Series 3s but other speaker usage would be interesting.

Thanks.....John
jafox
It is contrary to what you believe to be true.

Horizontal: One amp runs the mids/highs of both channels and one runs the lows.

Vertical: One amp runs the left speaker, one runs the right (said to minimize interchannel crosstalk).

These definitions are verified to be correct by several audio manufacturers. I, too used to think the definitions were as you describe above. Ah, the many not so straight forward definitions of this hobby (obsession to some).
Funny,I always thought that Vertical amping implied using individual amps for each driver in each channel.

Vertical amping as you describe is using Mono's for Bi-amping capabilities it is not vertical amping in the true sense of the word.

Horizontal to me is using an amp for the High\Mid Drivers for both channels and one for the Bass drivers for each channel,but you could also have seperate amps for each of the Mids and Tweeters paired channels which would still be Horizontal amping.

I am at present looking to Vertical amp 3-way speakers using 3 sets of Mono blocks thus having a seperate amp for each driver. That is 6 amps or as stated 3 sets of monoblocks.

Atleast that is what I think.
Look to Marchland and Bryston!

They both make outboard XO's.

There is alot of dispute about this,but it is very beneficial once you understand it and what is going on.

Recently there was an article in a mag about it and it's what professionals are going to.

Like I said once you understan it,it is easier to see the Bene's of it.

Monoblocks for each channel and bridging are different .This setup is better and is different than that.Less distortion,crosstalk,more efficient for the amps to drive the speakers.

I will try to explian it again later if you wish.The XO is then connected to the amp .Has nothing to do with how many inputs there are on the preamp.

It will defeat alot of the problems of room synergy because it allow for the XO to be tailored to whatever is best to accomidate the drivers to the room.Thus it is sort of like tone controls ,but better.

Did I explain that so you can understand it?
I am more confused as ever. Abex writes, "Horizontal to me is using an amp for the High\Mid Drivers for both channels and one for the Bass drivers for each channel, ..." In his case, one amp drives the top freqs and one amp drives the bottom freqs. How does the true meaning of the word, horizontal, apply to this configuration at all?

Does not horizontal imply a distinction between left and right; it has nothing to do with going up or down. Where was Mr. Spock when we needed logic to define what otherwise would be so simple.

Anyway, silly semantics aside, are there any members here who have tried dedicated amps for each channel vs dedicated amps for the top and bottom frequency ranges? And what were the sonic benefits of each .... if any significance existed at all?