Too much power?

I'm either going to buy a Aragon 2004 II or 4004 II. I have a pair of Klipsch kg3.5's, they're sensitivity is 94db so they're not hard to drive. Will the 4004 be too much power or is there no such thing? Thanks
todd76
I just bought an Aragon, it's in shipping right now. I had planned on getting the 4004(200 wpc) but I wound up buying a 2002(100 wpc). I'm just hoping it's going to be loud enough. But I've never heard an amp of that caliber. I was just wondering about how people drop to 4ohm so that the amp puts out more juice. Thanks.
They either run low impedance speakers or run two pairs of 8 ohm speakers. If you are worried about the power, i would not be too concerned. While you pick up twice the current at half the impedance, your voltage is what makes the biggest difference in terms of "cleanliness" and that doesn't doesn't change when shifting impedances. The drawback to lowering the impedance of the speaker load is that you cut your damping factor in half, which can result in the amplifier having less control over the speakers and / or allowing the speakers to more easily influence the overall performance of the amp. Stick with what you have and optimize your system for the amp that you just bought. It should work fine so long as you don't want rock concert levels in your listening room. Sean
>
1-your speakers are efficient enough that you won't need the extra power.
2-The extra wattage will only get you a 3db increase (10db to double the sound pressure/perceived volume).
3-Usually the speakers efficiency will drop with impedance and distortion may grow. Many 4 ohm speakers are rated at only 84 to 86db, while your klipsch are rated at over 90db. Therefore, even if you rewired your klipsch for 4 ohms, the efficiency will drop enough that it isn't worth the gain.
IE... your amp may put out 100 watts at 8 ohms, 200 watts at 4 ohms. 100 watts at 92db will be louder than 200 watts at 87 db.