Ok this will be a good thread.

What in your opinion is the most important part of a good 2 channel system. Or what has the biggest impact on overall sound. For example if you feel Speakers are most important, or Preamp, Amp, Source. I am not looking for a ss vs. tube debate, just what do you feel is most important.

I will start:
I feel speakers are the most important part. I know lots of you are going to say electronics, but keep it to one part, like Preamp, Amp, etc.
Steve
musiqlovr
Some folks maintain that super accurate speakers, used at the end of a fairly flawed system, would theoretically make the sound WORSE (than if just serviceable speakers had been used) because all the upstream flaws would be revealed that much more blatantly.

I once heard a system that had some low level Phillips CDP, a VTL Ultimate pre', VTL Wotans, and huge Dunlavey speakers (don't remember the model). Sound was not very good at all: murky, veiled, disjointed. One of the most unsatisfying large systems I had ever heard.
it's not the equipment or the music that makes the biggest difference in your overall experience of listening to music. it is the listener.

a good mood, positive attitude etc., can offset mediocre stereo systems and/or mediocre recordings. you can enjoy your favorite music on a table radio.
Absolutely agree with Mrtennis. I find that the mood I'm in has more bearing as to whether or not I'm going to enjoy the listening session and not what equipment I'm using.
So, Mr. T even a bad jazz combo listened to live can sound good if your mood is good? My experience is that a bad jazz combo would turn my mood from good to bad. Same with a bad sound system, some systems sound so bad that I feel sick.
Bob P.