Mark Levinson Gurus: Vintage Three Mile Island

I love my 23.5 but have been trying to purchase 20.5's or 20.6's for my Magneplanar Tympani IVa's -- mainly to have as many gigantic black boxes as I can to gaze happily upon in my living room. Sort of an anti-WAF design statement.

The dual chassis design alone is enough for me to justify the extra expense, but I would really appreciate hearing from any of you if you think there are significant sonic differences in these amps.

My one reservation if I sold the 23.5 would be the drop in power from 200 to 100 WPC for the Maggies, but perhaps the fully class A design would make that insignificant -- or even sound more powerful?

Or maybe the Vintage Levinson three mile island: TWO 23.5's, bridged, for the bass and a pair of 20.6 monoblocks for the mids/highs?

Any advice, especially within the context of my Tympanis and SP-11 MK II would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year.
cwlondon
23's the sound: neutral, fast, sweet & delicate midrange, opened high, defined and powerful and control bass. Transparant, hugh soundstage. Chassis warm to the touch.

20's the sound: warm, dark, a bit slower, heart felt midrange, stunning authority and control bass, although not as defined bass as No. 23's. Signatured sound. Don't need a pan for breakfast just put some oil or butter on the chassis and throw in the eggs.
6chac thanks

"heart felt midrange and stunning authority" sound good on the 20s although two space heaters in the middle of the room might not be the best thing in the Summer.

Funny how some people say 100 class A watts are at least equivalent to 200 A/B watts, but feedback generally suggests that the 23.5 is the real workhorse powerhouse.

Compared to other opinions I have solicited, you were gentle on the sonics of the 23, compared to the 20.6.

But it still sounds great to me.
Hey

Don't try bridging the 23's as they will destroy your per and spks. I have 2X23's not the .5 versions and I use them as left channel and right channel on my Infinity betas. This way they act as mono blocks but drive only the channel they are placed by. I have heard the 20.6s and 20.5s and if I could afford them I would buy them without hesitation. I use to own ML2's, the original monos, and sold them for the power of the 23's but I wish I could change this. Even those 25WPC class A sounded better then my 23's so imagine the 100
WPC 20.'s. Love to be in your shoes, you really can't go wrong. If you end up selling the 20.5 or .6s you might end up making a profit.
lp12

How do you wire your 23's to achieve that?

Thanks for the feedback.

One more vote for the Class A watts pack more punch than Class A/B, but the score is still surprisingly divided!

Any other experts on the Levinson amps?