Linn; Benefits of Tri-amping an Active System

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with tri-amping an active Linn speaker system. I currently have active Keilidhs based on two LK100's and I've always wondered what, if any, difference tri-amping would make, and assuming a difference, what and how signiifcant the difference is. Many thanks.
B. Myles
themylese78e
Ah! My appologies, I re-read your post. So right about the active bi-amping. The speakers were orignially sold passive, active bi-amp or active tri-amp though. Of course, in typical Linn fashion, the passives could be converted to either bi- or tri-amp active sepeakers .. sorry for the mis-read on the original post.

Looking at an old Linn brochure, they list the frequency response as active: 45Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB and Passive at 65Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB.. this is pretty big. I'm in agreement with the other posts, bass should go lower(of course) but should be tight and controlled as well.
Kind regards
While reading this forum, I am listening a violin LP with my 10 years-old 2-3 k$ system, 10 minutes after a violin CD on my 15 k$ active Linn system.
Oh, the sound is much less proper !
Oh !!! The violin is so much less impressive !
BUT so nice to hear, with so much emotion !
My question is then : what should I improve on my Linn system :
- improve dynamic and bass while adding a new amp ?
- improve tone balance while changing speakers ?
- improve emotion : how can I do ? I heard an EAR valve amp and BW805S that were clearly better than Linn, but only on this criterion. I can't aford for klimax. Used high end Audio research + BW ?
I read some interesting comments about 2 directions of improvement that are perhaps not compatible unless you invest a fortune : choose between Pace/Rythm and Harmonics. The first would be the philosophy of Linn, the second, of valve technology.
It is clear that every time I listen to a better (and more expensive) configuration by my Linn dealer, I find the sound better. But is that what I want ? Will I be satisfied by this new configuration, and how long ? Or can I find another configuration that can bring me a better compromise between proper sound and emotion for the same price, and that could satisfy me totally ?
If you have a brilliant idea, please tell me before I spend 10 k$ more ...
Marc
Marc,

I'll share with you what my plans are since I'll shortly be listing my Linn Aktiv system for sale here. This has been a very difficult decision since I do love what I have. I'm even going to the extent of seriously downgrading until I can bring it all together.

I will go the Lowther route with low powered tube gear. The idea is to rid the system entirely of crossovers and the problems associated with them. The amplification will be tranformer-less which does not roll off the highs and the lows. Simple as that.

It's a bold step from a guy that has thoroughly enjoyed British solid state gear for the last 20+ years. I'm confident that this is where it's at and for far less money.

Patrick
Mr. Myles,

I have the same Linn configuration as you mention and have also wondered whether a 3rd active lk100 would make a positive change to the system. I have not pusued this for one reason - any used lk100 I purchase now WILL NOT sound exactly the same as the one I have now driving the Keilidh mid/bass drivers. The two mid/bass drivers mounted in a Keilidh cabinet are configured in parrallel with each other and need to 'see' the exact same signal as each other or things will get messy. Right now our Keilidh mid/bass drivers in each cabinet are receiving virtually identical signals from the single channel in the lk 100 - I've decided not to mess that up.

ps. If you want a relatively cheap improvement for your Keilidh's(to my ears anyway) rewire them internally with some Cardas hook-up wire, bypassing the passive crossover all together. Keep the lengths of wire to each bass driver exactly the same if you do this.

Regards,
C. Wilson