Linn; Benefits of Tri-amping an Active System

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with tri-amping an active Linn speaker system. I currently have active Keilidhs based on two LK100's and I've always wondered what, if any, difference tri-amping would make, and assuming a difference, what and how signiifcant the difference is. Many thanks.
B. Myles
themylese78e
The real deal with making your Linn system "Aktiv" is that you'll need to get the appropriate active cards that Linn designed to conveniently slip into your amplifiers. These cards are simply, active crossover networks. Bass, Mids and trebble. (Your current set up, as you've described it, is passive bi-amplification). Next, depending on the model of the speaker, the dealer clips out some jumpers on the speaker's passive crossovers and re-solders some wires to different spots on the crossover boards, essentially making it so that each speaker cable run is being connected diectly to each driver. The advantage to this, is that you now no longer have all these passive components in the way that would otherwise rob a good percentage of the amplifier's effort to get each driver to move. Imagine going for a jog in knee deep water. You have to spend more energy to move along at a good pace. Now, imagine moving up, onto the sidewalk to run. Less resistance... you move along at the same rate of speed with a lot less effort. You, (and the speaker) have become more effecient. More dynamic, simply by getting all that "water" out of the way. This is not unique to Linn speakers and electronics, Meridian has been using multiple amplifiers INSIDE each speaker for years. Having a seperate channel to drive each element in a speaker, is just a brilliant idea. For those Linn speaker owners that don't have Linn amplifiers, the crossover cards -or Aktiv modules - as Linn puts it, can be placed into a "Tune Box". This, you order from your local dealer as well and by doing so, you can run just about any two or three stereo amps for an aktiv bi-amp or tri-amp system.
One last note: some of the newer model speakers from Linn no longer require you to go into the box to get at the crossover. Bypassing the passive components inside is accomplished by how you move the flat jumpers on the back of the speakers.
Good luck!
Jeff's,

The Keilidh is a two way speaker. It does however have two mid/bass drivers in each cabinet. What is described above is indeed an Aktiv system and NOT passive bi-amplified. The Keilidh speakers can be configured for Aktiv use via the jumper plates on the back of the speakers.

My point, and the question above is, what are the benefits of having another LK100 with another Aktiv mid/bass card(s) installed versus a lone LK100 Aktiv?

Patrick
Myles, I have a pair of Linn Keltiks powered by four Aktive
Klouts. The Keltiks have two woofers, the system can be powered using three amps, low, mid & high. I upgraded from a
pair of Aktive AV-5140, so I just changed the Aktive cards
and ran the Keltiks until I got another Klout. In responce to your question, adding another LK100 with a similar bass/mid card will only give you a subtle improvement, not the kind you got when you changed your system to an aktive setup. If you are looking for a "big" improvement I suggest
that you either go with a pair of Ninkas which can be run Aktive with the two amps and cards that you already have or go with a pair of better amps, like used Klouts or LK-240.
Patrick has correctly described the set-up of a bi-amped active Keilidh, and the issue is what happens if you add a third LK 100, with the result that each side of each amp is only driving one driver. In a bi-amped set-up, each side of the treble amp only drives one driver, but each side of the mid-bass amp is driving two drivers.
Marc, the improvement that you are hearing could well be the result of adding a better amp into the mix, rather than as a result of tri-amping. Certainly, in discussions with the dealer, he felt that I would be better off buying two new LK-85s and new active cards, but this was far more expensive and in any event he hadn't heard an LK 100 tri-amp set-up.
To recap, my Keilidhs are bi-amped, tri-wired and active, and the question arose when I saw that there may still be a set of active Keilidh cards for sale on this site, as well as several LK 100s. Many thanks.

B. Myles
Ah! My appologies, I re-read your post. So right about the active bi-amping. The speakers were orignially sold passive, active bi-amp or active tri-amp though. Of course, in typical Linn fashion, the passives could be converted to either bi- or tri-amp active sepeakers .. sorry for the mis-read on the original post.

Looking at an old Linn brochure, they list the frequency response as active: 45Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB and Passive at 65Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB.. this is pretty big. I'm in agreement with the other posts, bass should go lower(of course) but should be tight and controlled as well.
Kind regards