Linn; Benefits of Tri-amping an Active System

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with tri-amping an active Linn speaker system. I currently have active Keilidhs based on two LK100's and I've always wondered what, if any, difference tri-amping would make, and assuming a difference, what and how signiifcant the difference is. Many thanks.
B. Myles
themylese78e
Hi,

I have exactly the same speaker/amp aktiv configuration you have and wonder this same question myself. I'll be following this thread closely. I do believe that we aren't experiencing the full benefit of the Linn Aktiv system since one LK100 is driving two mid/bass drivers on each channel. I doubt that the bass extension would go lower but the effortless feel will be further enhanced. I hope someone gives us the definitive answer.

Patrick
Hello, I have a similar system : Ninka aktiv with 4 channels of a 5125 (close to a LK140, a bit more dynamic).
I am currently evaluating the evolution to Espek or to another system (Audio Research + BW).
As far as the Espek is a 3-ways speaker, I have to add an amp. So, in order to find an economical path to this investment, I tested an intermediate configuration with the Ninka driven by the 4 chanels of the 5125 on the medium/bass speakers and the new 2250 on the trebble.
The result is clear : more and much better controlled bass, even on difficult disks (Madonna - Music, which is so bad in a bi-aktiv configuration was well controlled here).
The dynamic was also much better, but this comes from the 2250 which is a better amp than the 5125.
But if the dynamic and the control are very good, the clear limit becomes the tone. There the espek bring a lot.
If I stay with Linn, I have to evaluate 2 scenarios for the road map : change ninka to espek first while adding a simple amp, or add a good amp (2250) and change espek afterwards.
To come back to your question, I think that adding an amp to your system could really enhance it. If you can add a better amp, put it on the trebble.
Marc
The real deal with making your Linn system "Aktiv" is that you'll need to get the appropriate active cards that Linn designed to conveniently slip into your amplifiers. These cards are simply, active crossover networks. Bass, Mids and trebble. (Your current set up, as you've described it, is passive bi-amplification). Next, depending on the model of the speaker, the dealer clips out some jumpers on the speaker's passive crossovers and re-solders some wires to different spots on the crossover boards, essentially making it so that each speaker cable run is being connected diectly to each driver. The advantage to this, is that you now no longer have all these passive components in the way that would otherwise rob a good percentage of the amplifier's effort to get each driver to move. Imagine going for a jog in knee deep water. You have to spend more energy to move along at a good pace. Now, imagine moving up, onto the sidewalk to run. Less resistance... you move along at the same rate of speed with a lot less effort. You, (and the speaker) have become more effecient. More dynamic, simply by getting all that "water" out of the way. This is not unique to Linn speakers and electronics, Meridian has been using multiple amplifiers INSIDE each speaker for years. Having a seperate channel to drive each element in a speaker, is just a brilliant idea. For those Linn speaker owners that don't have Linn amplifiers, the crossover cards -or Aktiv modules - as Linn puts it, can be placed into a "Tune Box". This, you order from your local dealer as well and by doing so, you can run just about any two or three stereo amps for an aktiv bi-amp or tri-amp system.
One last note: some of the newer model speakers from Linn no longer require you to go into the box to get at the crossover. Bypassing the passive components inside is accomplished by how you move the flat jumpers on the back of the speakers.
Good luck!