Tube Pre-Amp Upgrade Advice for Young Audiophile

Hello,
Take a look at my system...under 'my system'. My modded AE-3 is AWESOME ...I love it! But I have the upgrade itch and at this point I feel is the weakest link in my system. What I am looking for is a little more transparency amoung other things. I DO NOT want to spend and arm and a leg on a new pre. Maybe $800 used. Due to my budget ..i have to buy used and prob cannot audition... hence I am VERY concerned with component synergy with My Super Amp DJH.

Many people reccomend older Audio Research Models but I have no Idea which ones are good. I am also seriously considering the Rogue Magnum 66...also Blue Circle (but i think the BC is out of my budget.
Over all I want to make sure I am actually making an
upgrade over my AE3! All of you advice in the past has been A1!! So HELLLPP! :)
Ag insider logo xs@2xsquiddy
Sqiddy I too have a AE-3 that has the oil cap upgrade. I just purchased a pair of Infini caps to replace the Kimbers that are stock. I will try to get the Infini's in this weekend. Although I can't speak on the Rouge,CJ,and Blue Circle gear I really like the AE-3. It replaced a LS-7 if that's any food for thought. Anyway let me know what mods you had done on the AE-3 and best of luck on your search. (BTW try the sylvania wgt's if you have not done so-the best-imho)
The DJH signature version is a big step up in transparency and dynamics, even from a modded AE-3 which I sold. Agree wtih the Sylvania suggestion as well. I bought mine used for around 800-850 on Audiogon.

The Audible Illusions pre is very good and an extremely good bargain. I had one until I upgraded to a Supratek, and I loved it in my system. I chose it over the Rogue, which was the runner-up for me in this price range. The Supratek is on another level, but it is also more expensive.

The Audible Illusions does everything well and has a terrific phono stage to boot. In the interest of full disclosure, I should report that I have one for sell in the classifieds. However, whether you buy this one, another one, or something else altogether, try to give the Mod 3 a listen before making a decision.

happy listening and good luck--
Squiddy, so far as ARC goes, look for an SP-6 or an SP-8 600-900 used. For a bit more, which may be out of your budget but you can still find older ones at 1100-1200 used, don't rule out the CAT. Any of their models are great full function pre-amps. CJ are ok but the cheaper models are too rolled off at the frequency extremes and a bit darker and bloomier that the above mentioned. Then again you may prefer this initially but long term you'll probably want more.