Tube amp for planar speakers and SS pre

I have wanted for some time to move to planar speakers - cannot get what I want from 3-way speakers on classical music. I own the pass labs x-1 pre which I intend to keep. From reading back posts, I can see the logic in mating a ss-pre with a tube amp. However, most tube amps sound loosey-goosey to me in the bass.

I suspect I am probably underexposed. So... What tube amps are likely to work well with my Pass Labs pre and planar speakers, specifically maggies or sound labs? Will I be able to get tight bass, or will there always be a trade-off here? I would love to have a better technical understanding of the differences between the way solid state and tubes provide head room.
judit
The best tube amp I have heard for bass extension in a panel speaker was the Air Tight ATM-2. It has a very conservative rating of 80wpc and several have appeared here on Audiogon for sale this year. I had the pleasure of listening to this amp drive a pair of Sound Labs U-1s and it was stunning.
Most people recommend the opposite of what you are doing, tube pre / ss amp, for reasons you suggest ; that being bass control. I use a CJ 16ls II tubed pre-amp and CJ MF2500 ss power amp and find it to be a very good combination. Also tubes in pre-amps tend to last longer and are cheaper to replace than power amps. Just my thoughts.

Chuck
I just bought a pair of Wright Audio 2A3 monoblocks (3.5 watts), and they have absolutely incredible bass response. Fast, tight, accurate. Of course you need efficient speakers with amps this small, but don't be fooled about bass response in tube amps.

JD
Agreed with Czbbcl on the tube preamp/SSamp combo.

The maggies need lots of power.

Before you switch to a planer speaker, you should check
out some quality 2-way speakers, like the Talon Ravens
and the Wilson Benesch Arc.
Wolcott period bass every bit as good as any solid state amplifier you care to name.