Amp upgrade recommendations

I am considering having a pair of DNA 0.5s upgraded to Rev A and converted to monoblocks to run balanced off of my BAT VK3i, which is driven by a CAL CL-10/Classe' DAC also running balanced. Speakers are Vandersteen 3Asigs. Or I could sell the amps and buy something else. The mono-block conversion and upgrade is $1800; amps would yield about $1400-1500.00 (one is already Rev B) if I sold them. Any thoughts on which route might be better? I do not want to get involved with a tube power amp. Thanks for your ideas.
128x128swampwalker
Consider a Classe CA-301 power amplifier. I believe about $5K --new. An amazing amplifier that sounds even better in balanced operation.

peter jasz
There appears to be some confusion with McCormack amps. I'm not exactly a McCormack amp expert but while thoroughly enjoying my own McCormack amplifier, I've done some research and had a few converstions with people in the know.

Here's how I see the McCormack line-up.

Several years ago Stereophile rated the unmodified DNA 0.5 (msrp around $2k) a competitive second to the Krell Audio Standard amp which sold for about $33k. Therefore, a modified DNA 0.5 Rev should be pretty fabulous sonically.

From what I've read and heard (from others) the DNA-1 and DNA-2 standard and deluxe version amps are fine amps but should in no way be confused with the same models once smcaudio has modified those amps to a Rev A.

According to reviews and consumer remarks, the DNA-125 and 225 models also appear to be solid performers. Whether these are better or worse than the DNA-1 and DNA-2 standard and deluxe models I don't know. My hunch is the DNA-1 and DNA-2 would be superior but it's just a hunch. The DNA-1 and DNA-2 models are at least more powerful wpc-wise than the later 125 and 225 models.

The DNA-2 LAE (Limited Anniversary Edition) amplifier is, according to IAR's Peter Moncrief, far superior to other DNA amps as well as most every other amp period. Moncrief said of this amp "This power amp does everything a solid state amp is supposed to do, and does it better than any other solid state."

My understanding, talking with McCormack and owners of the DNA-2 Rev A amps, is that a modified DNA-2 to a Rev A or Rev Gold version would put it's sonics equal to or just slightly ahead of the DNA-2 LAE version.

-IMO
Just a Clarification, The DNA-225 (225@8ohms) is rated higher wpc than the DNA-1 (185@8ohms)of yesteryear.

I personally own the DNA-225. I was in the market and looking at all the models. I was very interested in the DNA-1 REV A but for the same price I could get the DNA-225. The DNA-225 is rated higher wpc, (actually does more like 250+ per channel from reading stereophile reviews). But right from the factory, the amplifier comes with equivlavent of better than a REV B mods.

I've opened up my DNA-225 and looked around very carefully. This thing is extremly built tough like a tank and its like you can almost feel the power and control this amplifier without even hooking it up to speakers!

I am very happy with my DNA-225 and compare it to levinsons and krell out there. One thing I do know is that this amplifier has CONTROL. It just drives my Studio 80's to dynamically painful listening levels. It also takes control of the bass output making it sound like I have a dedicated subwoofer. I did upgrade the power cable and that made a great difference.

The DNA-225 seems like it has unlimited power IMOH. My speakers cant take what this amp can give them. I could only imagine what the DNA-500 would do!
Tpsonic,

Contrary to popular beleif the GamuT D200 has a lot of power. The amp has 200wpc into 8 ohms. 400 Watts into 4 ohms and can deliver close to 50amps of current. This is not a D100, you really have to push this amp for it to loose composure. Your Vandy 3A's will be no problem for this amp.

Also, I have compared directly Plinius amplification and the GamuT D200. IMHO the Plinius only has the bottom end over the GamuT. Everything else, the GamuT does better. Plinius sound is muddier and darker than GamuT sound. Unless you get a New Plinius 102 amp. I have heard that this amp they fixed a lot of flaws SA100 series has. I do not want to knock Plinius too much, I had 2 SA100 mk3's in MONO for a few years, and I will tell you... for driving Magnapan 3.6's it is very difficult to find getter more powerful amps for the price of used SA100 mk3 amps. These amps could drive my Maggies like no other amps I ever had (665 wpc into 4 ohms). The thing about the Maggies is that they are not dark sounding speakers (especially if you remove the tweeter resistor). The darkness of the Plinius amps is counteracted by the 3.6's to produce an extraordinary good sound. I would not recommend Plinius power with too many other speakers.

Pass would be an interesting comparison to the GamuT. So would McCormick.

The D200 amp sounds nothing like any other solid state or tube amp I have heard. And people are giving them away for $2600 used. I find this amazing...

KF
Asi Tek, sorry for the confusion. My intention was to compare the DNA-1 to the DNA-125 and then the DNA-2 to the DNA-225 respectively. This, I believe, is the correct comparison for these older models to the newer.

Glad you like your 225 so much.