Opinions on why this system is uninvolving

I have just upgraded my system in a number of ways from Snell Type A/IIs to Revel Studios; from Audible Illusions Modulus 2 to Hovland HP-1; and from the earliest EADs to Metronome Technology DAC and transport. I find the system uninvolving much of the time. I also find it lacking in dimensionality, find it sometimes hard sounding and I notice image wander. Here's the whole system:

Revel Studios
Hovland HP-1
MFA 200C mono amps
Metronome DAC and Transport
Shunyata Hydra on amps
Power Wedge I on other components
Various high end cords incl. Top Gun, Shunyata Mamba and EMI whales
Tara Prime (or perhaps 1800) speaker cables (bi-wiring)
Audioquest Ruby interconnects between amps and pre amp (about 30-foot run)
Hovland interconnct between DAC and preamp
Siecor optical AT&T between DAC and transport

Any thoughts on how to arrest these problems would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about trying solid state amps like the Pass 250 or 350, the McCormack DNA line, Proceed or Rowland, but I'm not really sure that will make a sginficiant difference. I know it could change the sound signficantly, but not necessrily for the better (which I realize is completely subjective anyway).
znak_m
Cables are one of the best known cures for audiophilia nervosa, they act directly on the mind of the listener, usually without affecting in any way, shape or form the signal that passes through them. A significant achievement in sound reproduction, right up there with the invention of the phonograph by Berliner. Now if those same cables get cooked or better yet cryoed, well my oh my you are in for the psychoactive treat of a lifetime. Stop dwelling on imaginary faults with systems and buy records to enjoy them. Remember what the dormouse said, feed your head, feed your head.
I know this thread is very old, butI also had some studios that I bought as store demos. They had hundreds of hours on them. I tried MANY amps, MANY pre amps, and even ran a Cary 306/200 direct to the amp. I tried a Levinson 383 integrated, TERRIBLE. COld, thin, fatigue. I tried a pass labs pre, 300watt powergouse amps and nothing helped. I then bought Acoustic Zen cables, still did nothing. I had $20k in the system and it sounded like CRAP. I then hooked up a Cary V12i tube amp and they came alive, but still not enough for me to keep them. I never did like the Studios and believe me I TRIED! I ende dup with a pair of Avantgarde Unos whihc I loved for a year, then just sold those for some Sonus Faber Guarneris.

BTW, I recently heard some Studios with Mcintosh. (352 amp, 2200 pre) and it was awesome. Nice full sound. Pucnchy, dynamic and not thin and brittle.

BUT My little Sonus faber Signums (used $1400) smoked the revel Studios with imaging, soundstage, midrange naturalness...everything but bass. BUT the little Signums fill my 3 car garage room with bass anyway. Just not deep pounding bass.

The Guarneris are a lifetime "keeper" speaker, andthose can be found occasionaly for $5k

The Studios just did not really do it for me. They look cool, and have a very clear accurate sound. Just not very musical to my ears!
Studios must not be very good. I've been to two Revel dealers. When I tell them I own B&W they won't even let me listen to Revel. Waste of their time I guess.
I know why! All (most) are Stereophile recommended components. Listen before you buy!
Bwhite, I don't mean to take this thread off track but I can say one thing, I've talked to you before on this digital issue and you sure know your stuff on good sound, regardless of $$. I really enjoy your "reviews" !! ...Pat