Tubes Do It -- Transistors Don't.

I never thought transistor amps could hold a candle to tube amps. They just never seem to get the "wholeness of the sound of an instrument" quite right. SS doesn't allow an instrument (brass, especially) to "bloom" out in the air, forming a real body of an instrument. Rather, it sounds like a facsimile; a somewhat truncated, stripped version of the real thing. Kind of like taking 3D down to 2-1/2D.

I also hear differences in the actual space the instruments are playing in. With tubes, the space appears continuous, with each instrument occupying a believable part in that space. With SS, the space seems segmented, darker, and less continuous, with instruments somewhat disconnected from each other, almost as if they were panned in with a mixer. I won't claim this to be an accurate description, but I find it hard to describe these phenomena.

There is also the issue of interest -- SS doesn't excite me or maintain my interest. It sounds boring. Something is missing.

Yet, a tube friend of mine recently heard a Pass X-350 amp and thought it sounded great, and better in many ways than his Mac MC-2000 on his Nautilus 800 Signatures. I was shocked to hear this from him. I wasn't present for this comparison, and the Pass is now back at the dealer.

Tubes vs. SS is an endless debate, as has been seen in these forums. I haven't had any of the top solid state choices in my system, so I can't say how they fare compared to tubes. The best SS amp I had was a McCormack DNA-1 Rev. A, but it still didn't sound like my tube amps, VT-100 Mk II & Cary V-12.

Have any of you have tried SS amps that provided these qualities I describe in tubes? Or, did you also find that you couldn't get these qualities from a SS amp?
kevziek
Oh, Kevsiak, if you do buy some equipment, I think we would all be interested in your reactions.
I'm sorry, Asa, I didn't notice your invitation for a private dialogue. I think I might enjoy it, but I'm afraid I will have to decline at this time... Pressing responsibilities and all that, my good chap. Lets say we shake mouses, and move on.

I do want to stay in touch, though. I value your honest opinion.
An update. My friend who borrowed the X-350 and raved about it, said that it still lacked the naturalness and realness of tubes. He also just installed a dedicated line (10 g.) and is astounded with the improvements. His MC2000 now sounds more dynamic, lowered noise floor, more clarity. He doesn't have the dealer's X-350 now, but is still using a Threshold S-550e, and he says that with the dedicated line, the differences in the amps is more apparent. He is now convinced he doesn't want solid state. I will be going to do some comparing this Sunday, and also bring my VT-100 along. Will post after that...........
i always thought that tubes offered a magic in the midrange that solid state couldnt match.i recently picked up a yba passion 2oo.it easily is as good as my tube amp in the midrange and doesnt roll off the top end. bass is a bit deeper, tighter and extended.best of all it offers two outputs to the speakers one for the low end and one for the treble.this really makes a differance.last of all iam still interested in your cd player.if you are interested in selling.let me know what you would like to get for it..just go to my wanted add and leave me a post.i cancelled your last response out.thank you
Kevziek,
You have put into words the same results I am getting with the AMR DP-777 DAC.