Tubes Do It -- Transistors Don't.

I never thought transistor amps could hold a candle to tube amps. They just never seem to get the "wholeness of the sound of an instrument" quite right. SS doesn't allow an instrument (brass, especially) to "bloom" out in the air, forming a real body of an instrument. Rather, it sounds like a facsimile; a somewhat truncated, stripped version of the real thing. Kind of like taking 3D down to 2-1/2D.

I also hear differences in the actual space the instruments are playing in. With tubes, the space appears continuous, with each instrument occupying a believable part in that space. With SS, the space seems segmented, darker, and less continuous, with instruments somewhat disconnected from each other, almost as if they were panned in with a mixer. I won't claim this to be an accurate description, but I find it hard to describe these phenomena.

There is also the issue of interest -- SS doesn't excite me or maintain my interest. It sounds boring. Something is missing.

Yet, a tube friend of mine recently heard a Pass X-350 amp and thought it sounded great, and better in many ways than his Mac MC-2000 on his Nautilus 800 Signatures. I was shocked to hear this from him. I wasn't present for this comparison, and the Pass is now back at the dealer.

Tubes vs. SS is an endless debate, as has been seen in these forums. I haven't had any of the top solid state choices in my system, so I can't say how they fare compared to tubes. The best SS amp I had was a McCormack DNA-1 Rev. A, but it still didn't sound like my tube amps, VT-100 Mk II & Cary V-12.

Have any of you have tried SS amps that provided these qualities I describe in tubes? Or, did you also find that you couldn't get these qualities from a SS amp?
kevziek
Asa,
1. Where one can not say, it is best to remain silent. That seems to have escaped your long response, all the while you claim that one can not say. That is delusiuonal, or if volitional, inauthentic.
- I don't know what the hell you are talking about, you are too high education for me. You can teach me some English if you don't mind? :-)

2. There is a difference between claiming that you are encompassing the Truth in its entirety in words, versus using words to point at the Truth. Granted, pointing at the moon is not the moon, but Jesus and Buddha talked about the "what is" - or Zen, or God, or a higher level of organization, or whatever row you want to hoe - all the time, so I'll go with them, if you don't mind.
- Budda has level? Please don't hoe, I have "nothing" to show.

3. If someone claims they are enlightened, they usually aren't. I'm not, I know that.
- Do you remember what did you do, yesterday ? There you go!

4. What does it mean when someone goes on and on decrying others going on and on?
- Wrong is wrong. Nothing I can say.

5. If one has to look it up from someone else, or decry thinking and dialogue, itself part of the "what is", then he probably doesn't know.
- How do you learn to add: 1+1=2 ?

Lastly, my lady said, she does not wants no trolls, nor lion, so if I offend anyone, I trully apologize!!! Cheers.

Toss away...
Wrong again. Jadis matches very well with most Apogees. The Scintilla stands alone as a beast for an amp. It does take lots of current, but not a powerful amp. I have a friend who is very happy with his Scintilla powered by an 80 watt class A amp of his own design.

I have never heard, under any circumstance, a more believable music system than what I had with the Scintilla. Much of my awe was due, no doubt, to being my first listen to a dipole. Any dipole will out stage a dynamic box speaker anyway. I get more air from the back wave from my dipoles than any tube can provide. Room acoustics even play more of a role in musical systems than tubes. I have a great room. Listening initiates always remark about the "ear phone" effect (meaning they are emersed in the music), and that the stage remains cohesive regardless to listener position.

As you pretend not to know, I have legs in both worlds, both valve and ss. I will drop my Pass in an instant when I hear a superior sounding tube amp in the same price range. I've done it before for a smaller system. With my present speakers, I have found listening to tubes in the first gain stage works for me. I'm dying to hear a pair of Margules on my Duettas.

Specs be damned. I am talking real world music reproduction using my ears (and mind, for those who can't make the semantic connection themselves).

I wish you would refrain from using divisive sarcasm. When you do, I can't shake the image I have of you as a hooded figure preaching from top a mountain. Sprinkling terms like "materialistic" into your writing imparts a dogmatic, "My way or the bye way" attitude.

I can't help that it was a Levinson amp, Scintilla, Koetzu, Goldmund, and the perfect room that was so real it fooled me and not the Jadis powering whatever. I'm sorry that it's such a pill for you to swallow. Before you move in and say, "You don't know real," I'll tell you my daughter is a principal string player, my son blows the trumpet, and there is often someone stretching their fingers on our old world piano.

I don't see what tubes and ss have to do with spirituality, so in your pet vein I have no recommendation for you, except this; while I listen to the band play in my house, you can as well listen reverantly to white noise, believing in your heart it is "space."
Yippers, from deep in the backwoods of the green mountains of Vermont we like the way that 6chac jawbones.
No Jetter!? Loosing here!!! I'd thrown out Ten Bulls, only get back a few trolls, and a lion! And now, my lady told me that I cannot take trolls, nor lion. Have a nice weekend everyone. :-)

Regards
On 6chac: this is what happens when someone reads too many books on "Zen". Actually, glad you are having fun, just clean up after you get out of the sandbox and go home for supper.

On Muralman: what, if I note the materialistic bias in your statements, I'm being derisive? Jeez, a guy who wants "technically clean" sound recoiling against someone noting his materialistic bias, imagine that...

As far as the Scintilla being the end-all in speakers, I think its safe to say that you need to get out more. But, again, I'm glad you had an experience that showed you something more (which, empirically-speaking, may raise the possibility that there is more for you to learn...)

"Spirituality is a pet vein", like a tangential hobby. Hmm, interestingly view.

Two guys who know it all after hearing Scintillas, or reading some Zen. What more can I say, you've perfected a perfect way to immunize your ideas; conclusions without any reasons other than, well, no reasons. You're right, Muralman, the fact that your daughter and son play instruments thoroughly deconstructs my observations. So, now that I have been so thoroughly deconstructed by a duo of zen/sound enlightened beings, I will say, have a nice wkend.

Oh, that's not sarcasm you are hearing; its broken bamboo across your back.