Review : PS Audio HCA 2 amplifier

This amplifier I awaited with eagerness since it represents a union between the old and the new. The amp uses a digital switch-mode device and a large torrodial transformer to output 150 watts into 8 ohms. The unit upon arrival stayed on for 200 hours with both FM and cd music playing. The rest of the system consisted of a Sony 555es SACD player, Proceed PRE, B&W n805's. Interconnects are XLO er-4, Audioquest viper, and Cardas Cross. Speaker cables are Kimber 4tc, Cardas Neutral Reference, and Transparent music wave 200. Comparisons were done with a Musical Fidelity A3CR amplifier. In rotation is Murray Perahia Back Keyboard Concertos 3, 5, 6, 7 (sony Classical), Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky (CBS Records), Kathleen Battle Grace (Sony Classical), and Avalon Blues a tribute to Mississippi John Hurt, and on SACD James Taylor Hour Glass, Copeland conducts Copeland, Dave Brubreck Quartet.
The first impression is one of immediacy and energy but with much upper midrange/ treble grain/ glare. Furthermore, there was a lot of hash in the signal that despite many grounding schemes I was not able to get rid of and I suspect is endemic to the design. I will note that I ran the amp single ended only. But I can hardly expect this to be the culprit as I have never experienced such a problem before. The static is noticeable at the listing position.
Second, all voices sounded dry and nasal in quality, as if the body and chest were missing. Kathleen Battle sounded exactly that way and contrasted through the MF A3CR there is much less bloom and much more glare to the HCA 2's presentation. Strings on both CD and SACD sounded steely and metallic but low level detail seemed to come up in the mix compared to the A3CR. Both units presented a layered and deep soundstage but the HCA 2 reduced the height of the image to below the speaker plane compared to the A3CR. Imaging went to the A3Cr which made it possible to recognize that there is a whole first violin section in the Copeland SACD instead as the HCA 2 made it sound as if there were only three or four players. I much preferred the A3CR in all respects and any music compared to the HCA 2.
Third, cable changes made slight differences, but not major. The Cardas gave a little more bloom, the XLO a more lively presentation, and the AQ viper a more clear sound. However, compared to the MF A3CR there is always a glare to the HCA 2 that is fatiguing in the extreme. For instance, my girlfriend could not listen to the HCA 2 for more than about 5 minutes. Neither of us found any worth in the PS Audio amplifier from a musical point of view.
On a positive note the input jacks and speaker terminals are top flight and the included power cord is almost equal to their micro lab cable in Sonics. Further the lower midrange/ upper bass boost in the HCA 2 did deliver a punchy and dynamic sound and seems like a nice addition for mini monitors especially. Again though, the glare apparent through the HCA 2 is a fault that is not forgivable. I feel that if you have more forgiving speakers the amp may work for you, IF you can get over all of its other problems.
Have a good day.
kchahoc
Sure, as I said the amp is a detail master and delivered a very entergetic and dynamic sound. I think I can see why some would call the amp "tube-like", but in other ways the sound has nothing at all to do with the glowing stuff mid- range wise.
I for one am glad to see a "thorough" evaluation of this amp. Clearly, this amp did not fit Kchahoc's system and/or tastes. But the information he provided is very useful to me, and I hope Fiddler will post his own review of the amp on his ribbons. We all know that "synergy" is far more important than how "good" any particular piece is.

I suspect that with the B&W's (metal dome tweeter, kevlar woofer) the MF with its warmer midrange would result in a more pleasing sound, than the PS or Bel Canto for example. Perhaps it would be more musical if the PS was mated with a tube preamp?

It is also possible that there is something "wrong" with the PS amp? In my experience, first generation production runs from high end companies are sometimes plagued with problems, either due to parts inconsistency or shipping problems, etc. I guess the good news is that PS offers the 30 day return, right? maybe if Kchahoc reported his findings to PS Audio and returned the amp, they might investigate to learn if there is indeed something wrong with that particular specimen, or if it was just a case of system conflict.

All in all, thanks to Kchahoc for reporting his findings in such detail (cable swaps included). Much more useful than some of the other "greatest amp ever" reviews found here and in audio magazines in general. NOTHING works with EVERYTING in my opinion, and I'd rather know what does NOT work together, than read another glowing review which you have to "read between the lines" to really grasp any useful information.
The amp has a built-in device identical to PS's high current Ultimate Outlet and the manual says that further conditioning is optional.
I have this amp also, and like every other new component I've owned, I had to do a little tweaking to make things work right. This amp is capable of excellent sonics, but you need a high quailty power cord to achieve it. I started with a Mini Lab Cable and then upgraded to a Lab Cable which was a worthwhile improvement. With the stock cord it tended to be harsh, and was particularly revealing of poor quality recordings or close-miked vocals.

Then in my pursuit of greater performance, I purchased an FIM 880 outlet based on all the rave reviews by Audiogon members on these discussion threads. The FIM was HORRIBLE with the HCA-2. Bright, grainy, just awful. It started out almost OK, but as it broke-in it got progressively worse. I finally took it out of the system in favor of a PS Audio Power Port and the harshness vanished on all except the worst recordings. I'm currently waiting for a Jena Labs cryo'd outlet to arrive for further testing, and possible improvement. As was mentioned above, this amp is very sensitive to the quality of the power used.

The HCA-2 is very detailed and revealing, and it revealed a lot of problems on my CD's. Auric Illuminator made a significant difference in removing some of the digital glare, and I'm getting ready to test Mapleshade's Mikro-Smooth. However, female vocals, with the exception of a few close-miked recordings, are a strong suit of this amp. So the results you describe would suggest to me there are other areas in need of improvement. Also, I find the soundstage to be exceptionally deep, though a little narrow running my Wadia CD direct. However, the soundstage widens nicely with a preamp. My soundstage is also slightly above ear level (I believe yours was slightly low), and I believe the speakers could account for this difference as opposed to just the amp.

If you bought an early model HCA-2 (identified with a C or D in the serival number), PS Audio has a free upgrade that makes a subtle, but worthwhile, sonic improvement. It's described on their web site in one of the discussion threads.

As to the other problems you mentioned, I'm not having the same experience, so you really may have something else wrong. As I said, it has taken me a while to get the synergies right with this amp, so you may need to look at the entire set-up, but power.

Finally, our personal reference frame accounts for a lot of the differences in opinion on components on this site. My friend's high quality tube system is very soft on top compared to mine. When I hear it I miss all the inner detail that my sytem has. I used to have an Arcam ss amp that was soft in this area too (albeit very listenable). So where you're coming from can make a difference. I'm willing to bet that all of those guys who raved about the FIM outlet listened to tube amps, because if you had an HCA-2 or a Pass amp, for example, it would just make it too bright.

Out of the box, this amp was harsh, but after a long break-in period and the other tweaks I mentioned (especially the Lab Cable) the results are quite different. It may never be the amp for you, but it should also NOT sound the way you describe it.

My system consists of a Wadia 301 running CD direct into the HCA-2 using AQ Anaconda XLR interconnects. Speakers are Soliloquy 6.5's (which the HCA-2 drives with ease).