Old Classic Receivers: A Mistake to Buy?

I was contemplating purchasing a 70's receiver, as I used to love the construction and appearance of the Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz. However, when I ran this by an audio friend, he said, "Forget it."

He says: They sound terrible. The caps & resistors used before the early 90s' were dreadful. The electrolytics are drying up and will start crackling and substantially degrade the sonics. The switches and controls used were almost never sealed, so they deteriorate and make noise and can't be fixed even by taking them apart and cleaning them.

Tuners: He says that nearly all non-digital tuners used varactors, which go out of alignment and cause problems, so no old tuners, with the exception of the Mac MR-78 and possibly a few others, are worth dealing with.

I am tempted to believe all that he is saying is true, but I see a market for these items, and also know that people claim they are still using these pieces for 25 years.

What's the truth here? Can some of the techies enlighten me?
kevziek
Let’s face it, age effects all of us, that goes for our electronics too. On the other hand, I have a vintage Luxman receiver R-1050 that I purchased new when I was in high school and it still sounds pretty damn good. Was it as good as my rouge/bat combo? NO—but when I was looking to buy an intergrated amp at the $1000 price point, the Luxman kicked but and it has a tuner and phono section to boot.

I think you can still get quality sound out of these pieces
As a McIntosh fan, I think it should be pointed out that most of the McIntosh receivers produced back in the 70s and 80s are still in use today. I know of two older 70s units that are used in second systems; and both owners enjoy using them often.
Not only do older McIntosh receivers in good condition fetch top doller in the used equipment market; but most Mac service dealers can restore the old units to "like new" condition. And the quality materials that were used in the older Mac receivers - such as machined metal knobs, glass faceplates, and walnut cabinets - makes most of today's receivers look pretty shabby in comparison.
I bought a Pioneer SX-1250 cheap. I then sent it of to a reputable Web based rebuilder of the 70s calssics, Mcintosh, Marantz Ect. All the issues that were addressed as weakneses are repalced and/or modified and then some. It cost me a little over $400 but I now have a Ballsy 165 watt reciever with a great tuner. I don't think I could have done any better.
not true, some of the finest sounding pieces can be had for a song. i have a scott 222c interg amp w telefunkins tubes scott tuners, luxman original (Japan) SS pieces, superb sounds.
caps and resistors can be replaced, no problems, many new pieces as well as new technologies are redundant, expensive rip offs and manufactured with profit in mind.

how can you compare a a 49 lincoln with an 84 caddy.!