Best amp for 5k used? SS or Tube

Hi I am looking for a new amp for around 5k used. You can view my current system here: http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs_user.pl?vevol&1020195264

Any comments on any of the following amps would be helpful. Also, any new suggestions or advice would be welcome as well. I think an amp with at least 150 watts in 8 ohms is ideal for solid state. As for tube I don’t think it makes difference as long as it can go up to 105 db.

My main choices are:

Edge NL 10 – the best choice I think

LAMM M1.1 monos

Gamut 250 monos

A Rowland amp … not sure which one

BAT VK – 1000

PASS X-250 (sounds the same as the 350 on my speakers)

Bel Canto EVO Monos

Tube amps are possible too as my speakers are about 94 db efficient. But SS is preferable because I don’t want to deal with the tube hassle. Comments are welcome. Thanks in advance for all who help.
lordgorian
It would be much more helpful if people say why they like certain amps. For instance i know that accujim always reccomends the lamms whenever a question like this arises but it would be far more helpful if they were compared to amps of a similar caliber. BTW - we both have similar systems (i believe you had talon khoruses at one point) so your comments are particularly valid. Thanks, - lordgorian
Even though you don't need it with your efficiency, you can still get a Krell FPB 600 for a little over 5k and it's going to hold it's value and be easy to resell. I just sold mine.

Allen
Well, I have not heard another solid state amplifier that could match the smoothness and involving nature of Clayton Audio.

I have heard similarly priced as well as mega-buck amps from Jeff Rowland, Linn, Plinius, Pass Labs, Mark Levinson, Krell, etc., but none of these have same level of pure musical involvement as Clayton.

That said, their M100 monos should meet, if not exceed your expectations, even if you desire at least 150 watts per side. The M100s will play 100 wpc into 8 Ohms, 200 wpc into 4 Ohms, 400 watts into 2 Ohms, and a staggering 800 wpc into 1 Ohm, and this all in Pure Class A form.

They are built like a tank and seem to last forever with effortless efficiency. They do run very warm (which is normal for class A models), but their huge heat sinks draw the heat away from the amps.

They list for $6,500/pr. new, so I don't forsee any problems getting a used pair for about $5k -that is, if you can find a pair for sale.

But if your looking for the best in solid state, compare the Clayton to any other, and I think you'll find that the choice will be obvious, if pure musical quality and convenience of operation and upkeep are of the utmost priority.

Happy shopping!

Best regards,

-Donald
Pick up a used McCormack DNA-2 (not the deluxe nor the LAE version) for about $2300. Send it to McCormack Audio for the Rev A upgrade (about $2500).

I own the DNA-2 LAE (Limited Anniversary Edition) version. Peter Moncrief of Intern'l Audio Review rated it the best SS amp in 1999. Very powerful and extremely fast faithfully articulate across the spectrum with no weakspots.

A plain DNA-2 with the Rev A revision should be just slightly better sonically than the LAE version.

-IMO
The krell amp is just overkill. I mean i would rather get the 250 monos over the 600 as it is just excess. The clayton amps are supposed to be awesome i did forget about them but everytime i see an S-40 come on (I think thats what they are called) i think about trying one out. As for the mccormack amps.... hahaha i knew thats what you were gonna say as soon as i saw your name. You always recommend them. Hmmmm i still have yet to hear one. I dont like the fact that its a hotrodded class B amp rather than the other amps which are really good class A amps. I get the impression that the McCommack is a very good amp that does nothing really great. All of its weaknesses are perfectly matched so that it does not appear to do one thing better than another, which is a very good thing, dont get me wrong. It is also supposed to be a very fun, musical and listenable amp but i wonder if its levels of detail and clarity compare with the other amps listed. I will certainly look into it. Thanks for all the help so far!!!