Digital amp beat them all? Audio Physic Strada .

The german magazine Stereoplay has(in its June issue) a review of the new Audio Physic Strada monoblocks.
Like most german audio magazines this has also a preferance for ranking products in a hierarcic manner.
Interestinly, the new monoblocks from Audio Physic gets
60 point (on a scale that end with 63 points), while the
mag´s former reference Krell FPB 650 M gets 59 p.
For your knowledge;Electrocompaniet Nemo gets 58 p, the same as Pass X-350.
Althought the fact that I am sceptical about ranking systems
in Audio,I find it remarkable that a digital amp allready
can compete with some of (what is regarded) as "top-flight"
amps!
The Strada monoblocks has a switched powersupply and some
innovative curcuitry,e.g. it seems to be handling signals
of low amplitude in analog way, and switches over to digital mode for higher amplitudes in some form of bridge
output section. Sorry, my understanding of technical german
isn´t splendid.
They deliver 255 W/each in 8 Ohms, and costs about 15000 Euro a pair.
What do you think? Are digital amps taking over the scene
in the years to come, or will there be a "resistance movement" corresponding to that of CD-anlog?
dinos
...first RIAA is needed for the records produced before 1954 i.e. before RIAA standard of mastering records. So RIAA equalisation makes nothing to the records produced after 1954(or maybe earlier).
Second somehow the placement of the musicians in the stage had been altered as to comparing to the no-preamp. Every instrument sounded brighter but at the same time clearer. The worst thing happend to the human voice that is being first echoed wherever you need it and wherever you don't and again changing(doesn't matter sometimes to worse sometimes to better) depending on the recording.
The thing is that my analogue rig is well established and reproduces darn good whatever had been placed on the record and in most of its cases do not need a correction or any artificial imaging. It has no floor or ceiling and images to the level of live performance exept huge symphony orchestras that need to be heard live only.
How can Tact reproduce 8Hz? To tell you simply it can't since digital freequencies are limited. With larger number of upsampling you may improve bass but the highs will cut off. So any digital device might be good for all audiable freequencies but in order to image it has to use a digital correction engine like in Tact.
Well, according to the measurments in Stereophile,the
monoblocks are down 1 dB at 100 kHz..
I also make a translation from german to english, and quote
Stereoplay:
"Madonnas voice seems -while the other amps make it compar-atively cooler and more pale, more free, more female and warmer" .
I, for my part, have a pragmatic attitude towards audio,
if it sounds good, it is good, independtly of the technique
being used. So I will look forward to see the opinion of
other magazines about the Stradas.There is a mag in Germany
called Audiophile (owned by the same publishing house as
Stereoplay) that will publish a review in their next issue,
will be out in September. Audiophile´s favorites are e.g.
Accuphase A-50 V, Lamm M1.1, Pass X 600, ML 33H, and Spectral DMA-360. No Krell amp reviewed,yes I´m not a fan
of Krell.
Better still, will be to find out for ourselfs, if digital
amps can be superior, but for my part I dislike shows.
Having heard to many probably good products sound terrible, e.g.an expensive new loudspeaker from an European company that begins with L, this winter in a show in Stockholm. And
a lot of amps that were clipping........
BTW, wouldn´t it be a good idea to have different fees at
shows;by paying extra (one day), there could be a (strict)limitation in the numbers of visitors!
Then it will be easier to us, to find out if digital amps
can compete with "traditional" amps. Please be open-minded!
Aren't digital amps and TacT's 2 different things with different uses? Why summilarily dismiss all digital amps because you don't care for what a TACT does? Because they are both digital? Contempt prior to investigation is generally not the best approach. I have a Spectron Musician II digital amp and do not find it dry or artificial in the least. It is superb in clarity, imaging, highs, lows, and very neutral to my ears. It will be even better after I get my Supratek pre delivered. And the list price is about half that of the Audio Physic Strada. Please listen to one before you tell people it sucks cause its digital. Some well-respected ears have spoken very highly of the unit. If you think it sucks after a listen, well thats fine and I would respect your opinion. After all, matching taste with equipment is part of the fun.
Patrick
why comment. I guess we all have our particular phobias. For nine months I used the Bel Canto EVo 200.2. When used with my Classe' integrated as a preamp, it tended to be just a touch dry. My Cary SLP 2002 solved that slight problem. It also played great detailed bass, but without weight. Mine had a 500VA transformer that I felt was a little less than what a 120wpc amp needed. B&W speakers like their current, so I sold it.
Bel Canto has introduced the EVo2 as it's high current version. 120wpc still, but with a 1500VA transformer. Mine was delivered two weeks ago. What was slightly less than perfect has been remedied. I now have all the highs and midrange of my Cary Rocket 88 (retubed ) with great but not overstated bass.
I'm sure there are some who will still find fault with the EVo2, after all, it's only $2995 retail.YMMV
Rockhead has a good point, just as in other technologies people will prefer one appraoch more than another. This is even more of an issue with what a new (in the big picture of things) approach. While it may not be perfect (what is?) I can't help but believe that there is great promise here (perhaps more so than in any other approach). Next digital cross-overs. Marakanetz, thank you for your explanation, your opionion is valued.