Classe compared to the Theta Dreadnaught

I am not an audiophile and putting my first real HT system together. I understand that you usually can not compare a $4000 amp to a $6500 amp. How much better is the Dreadnaught? I have not been able to compare them but hope to do so. I have limited funds so spending an additional $1400 dollars to buy a used Dreadnut vs a Classe is an important decision. Thanks
P.S. For what its worth, based on speaking with Classe the CAV-180 is not really comparable to the CAV- 150. Thanks.
flash_g_man
SD -
Did it mention the other 3-4 top of the class 5 channel amps? Surely my Cal Audio CL-2500 wasn't mentioned, people just don't know how good this amp is.
Thanks,
Dan
Stop this foolishness. Buy a Yamaha receiver and give up the quest for the absolute sound. "The force be with you".
I believe the current Theta mono amps were designed by someone from Classe. Maybe he had input(!) on the Dreadnaught too...
I'm going to put my two cents worth in... Take the one persons advice and buy the Yamaha. HT is more about sound reproduction than musical purity.
I'm using a Yamaha to drive a Alon (I's) speaker setup with a Definitive Audio sub and a Marantz DVD player. Friends who have invested a LOT more than me in their system are shocked a system costing so little can entertain as well if not better than some of their high dollar set ups.
In Flash's post, he only asked for feedback on the Classe vs. the Theta Dreadnaught, and I didn't want to throw in a lot of additional info that might confuse matters. However, since there seems to be a bit of schism here on "what to buy" (receiver vs. separates), let me quickly mention the choices among multi-channel amps that TAS listed in their current issue:

Class 1 (highest category):
1. Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200 ($10,000)
2. Rowland MC-6 ($16,500)

Class 2:
1. Theta Dreadnaught ($6000) - rated as a "Best Buy"

Class 3:
1. Conrad-Johnson MF-5600 ($4000)
2. Integra Research RDA-7 ($5000)

Class 4:
1. Anthem PVA-7 ($1500)
2. Audio Refinement Multi5 ($2250)

Class 5:
1. Adcom GFA-7400 ($1000) -- rated as a "Best Buy"

I'd also add two other amps to this list which deserve serious consideration:
1. Bryston 9B-ST ($3800) -- a near-concensus choice in many of the HT and audiophile mags. Based on my own listening experiences, I'd place this amp in TAS's Category 3 in terms of audio quality as a multichannel amp.
2. Outlaw Audio multichannel amp -- $1100, and a steal at the price.