Mosfet amps A true compromise betw. tubes and SS?

I heard from several people that Mosfet SS amps are a nice compromise between tubes and SS amps.
There is one manufacturer in particular I am interested
http://www.wbe-audio.de,s croll down to Fusion 700 (its a German made amp, but he has an English web page) who calls his hybrid amp a Mono tube mosfet amp.
I would really appreciate if someone who has more insight would tell me a bit more of advantages and shortcomings of this design and if the claim: "sound of tubes with power of SS" is true or not. Also I would like to know if these are fast amps, as I plan to maybe use them with my ML Prodigy, should the Wolcott amps, I bought recently, not work satisfactorily.
tekunda
Muralman1: O.K. now I see your system setup. As for the tubes, I did like some 1960's Mullard 6DJ8 I put in an ARC LS25 preamp I owned a while back. (Currently I skip a preamp, by using a Wadia CD player only). But in the Llano amp, such Mullards don't seem quite as grainless and refined in the treble as some other classics like Amperex. I'm still experimenting with different types of NOS tubes, and not quite satisfied yet. The Llano's input tube stage provides all the voltage gain in my system, so the tube choice is everything. E.g. 7025/12AX7 are quite musical but lack focus, 5751 have more focus but sound a little muddy, and 6922/6DJ8 character varies wildly with manufacturer. I'm looking for a liquid and grainless midrange with dimensionality, super-sweet treble (to tame the Maggie ribbons), and tight bass. Of course, I guess that's what most people want. I haven't yet tried some of the ones you listed like Siemens, Telefunken, and Sylvania, though. BTW, is your Jolida an integrated amp?
The Jolida JD-100 is a cd player. I hate to harp on amps again, but according to experts I trust in the field, the Pass X amps are the cleanest amp built due to it's DC circuitry throughout, accomplished by not using the usual amp builder's crutches, like detail robbing feedback and step up capacitors. Nelson's ingenious utilization of his super symmetry finishes the job. With the help of the tube cd player, I enjoy all the points on our collective wish list, except perhaps Krell like bass slam. That's not something I miss.

Given the Pass amp is colorless, I can control the sound with my cd player tubes. Like you, I find tube selection critical for my listening enjoyment. The 12ATX7 Mullards CV4004 tubes were not grainy, and were quite musical. The trouble I had with them was they starved my system of micro detail. Mullard tubes are visually flimsy. JAN Phillip tubes gave better detail. I am using 1950s Sylvania 5751 tubes which are purposely built to defeat microphonics. At $45 apiece, (if you can find them) they are a bargain Telefunken, full liquid mids, sweet highs, and a seductive bass.
Muralman1 - what is a "step-up capacitor"?

BAT also has a very neutral sound MOSFET amp in their VK-200 (now replaced by the VK-250). Two gain stages and no global feedback. A very "Passish" design philosophy. If one is looking for some inexpensive but well built MOSFET amps they might want to try the last of Sony's ES amps. Especially the TAN90ES. Not a BAT or Pass, but quite inexpensive and at least their equal in quality, if not quite there to the nth degree in sound. Also fairly "Passish" in design philosophy.
Nearly all multi stage amps need a capacitor in line to facilitate the bridge between the two. The trouble is, any capacitor or resistor in line with the signal is going to add it's own degradation of the signal.

It isn't easy to create a circuit with no resistors or capacitors in line with the signal. The Pass X and XA series not only do without, any bit of distortion getting through is canceled at the output through Supersymmetry.

Think I will jump in with a thought on the Llano Trinity. I'm using mine with a BAT VK3i amp and Vandy 3ASigs. I have tried various tubes in the 12A?7 series and typically found the 12AT7s and AX7s to be a little forward in the upper vocal registers. Since I listen to a lot of female vocalists, that was a problem. Was not impressed with the RCA 7025s or 5751s. If anyone wants to try some of these, send me a private email. So far, the best in my system has been some Amperex Holland 12AU7s. BTW, this amp was much better with the BAT than a CAT SL1 Sig I tried (also now available).