Mosfet amps A true compromise betw. tubes and SS?

I heard from several people that Mosfet SS amps are a nice compromise between tubes and SS amps.
There is one manufacturer in particular I am interested
http://www.wbe-audio.de,s croll down to Fusion 700 (its a German made amp, but he has an English web page) who calls his hybrid amp a Mono tube mosfet amp.
I would really appreciate if someone who has more insight would tell me a bit more of advantages and shortcomings of this design and if the claim: "sound of tubes with power of SS" is true or not. Also I would like to know if these are fast amps, as I plan to maybe use them with my ML Prodigy, should the Wolcott amps, I bought recently, not work satisfactorily.
tekunda
Post removed 
Even tube is not tube. The sound you get depends on what tubes you use. Their is no direct correlation between Mosfet transistors and tube like sound.

For example; the current crop of Conrad Johnson solid state amplifiers that replaced the MF2100 (and others) use Bi-Polar output transistors instead of Mosfets. They also use Field Effect transitors because they handle voltage in a way similar to tubes.

So just buy an amplifier that you like the sound of; and forget the buzz words.

You may want to try a tube preamp with a solid state power amp. It is a good way to get the best of both worlds.

Yeah...what they all said. I ended up buying a used Counterpoint SA-100 amp (a hybrid tube/mosfet design). It sounded pretty nice in stock form, but those particular mosfets had a history of failure. I had mine completely rebuilt by the original designer and he has since switched to something other than mosfets (you can check it all out at www.altavistaaudio.com) on his newer designs and rebuilds. Some people love their characteristics, but like the above people said...it all depends on the designer. There are good and bad designs using all technologies. Still...I do prefer some tubes in the system. I have gone in the direction of hybrid amps and preamps, but you can always mix tube and SS like Sugarbrie mentioned above.
Interesting question - from my own listening (and there are a lot more experienced listeners in this forum), very bad MOSFET designs have similarities to very bad tube designs ("mist") and very good MOSFET designs can sound remotely similar in character to pretty good tube designs as can some other SS approaches. Understand that I am definitely a tube fan, so my response is biased by that perspective.

When combined with a tube input stage (one of the possibilities for "hybrids"), MOSFETs often sound better (to a tube enthusiast like me). As support, I would point to the LAMM M1.1, though I have heard some of the Counterpoint gear sound great in synergistic systems.

That having been said, I have spent a great deal of time lately looking for SS amplification that could make a tube fan like me content to listen... I have yet to find a completely satisfying compromise, though a recent thread gave me a number of good leads (the suggestions I've followed so far have been among the most musical SS I have heard).

Overall, I have to agree with everyone else here that, while I understand where the reputation arises, there is no clean correlation in my experience between "tube-like" and "MOSFET" so you've unfortunately just got to listen in your system.

Good luck in your search. Incidentally, I have not heard the Fusion 700, so can't comment directly. Hope my rambling somehow helps...

Jacob
Isee now that the Brinkman offers a optional onboard DAC. So its not a hybrid. It's like a amp-dac??? But i do like the fact they don't try to hide anything. The unit comes with a glass top!! Thats cool.