power/impedence reciprocity

What would you rather have for a medium sized room: an amp that does 125/250/500 watts into 8/4/2 ohms, or an amp that does 250/325/500 watts into 8/4/2 ohms?

It has been explained to me that the 125/250/500 will give more slam, low end detail and control than the 250/325/500. This is because all speakers will go below 1 ohm for short durations during drum beats and other low frequency percussive sounds, and the 250/325/500 falls off more quickly with the load that by the time you get below 1 ohm (or even below 2 ohm) it can't handle the low end nearly as well.

I have always suspected this to be the case, but would like to check my suspicions with some techies. Thanks for the advice.
gboren
OK, makes sense. Now where do switch mode power supply and class A amps fit into this? Or is that a totally different matter? Thanks for your advice.
G:
That is, as you say, "a totally different matter." There is short discussion of what Class A is at www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/bbs.html Just look for posts within the last couple of days.

Two separate threads titled "Why class A" and "Is anyone interested in what class A means" explain it fairly well.

Also a recent thread at www.bottlehead.com within the last couple days.

Seems to be the issue of the week.

Personally, being a tuber, I would never buy a speaker that did not present a fairly consistent and benign impedance curve and was at least fairly effecient. Frankly, I think I would do the samething w/ SS where clipping is so much more of a wake up call.

I remain,
I agree with Sean at least in regards to lower cost equipment. I know one company that sells a 50 watt and a 100 watt integrated amp at 8 ohms. The 50 watt amp is rated at 105 watts at 4 ohms and the 100 watt amp at 135 watts at 4 ohms. The 50 watt amp is pretty typical; the 100 watt amp has a lot more features. Obviously, these two amps are really closer as far as power output than advertised, but they want you to think you are getting a lot more than features when you pay 50% more for the 100 watt model.
Sugar, cost is not a factor here. Look at what the amps clip at and then look at what they are rated for at the various impedances involved. The closer that they come to "doubling down" at the point of clipping, the truer the statement "high current" and "true voltage source" would apply.

The fact that the 100 wpc integrated that you mention does not go up drastically in power as impedance is halved tells me that this manufacturer is actually giving you "more legit" power ratings on this model. He could have rated the 100 wpc model at 70 wpc at 8 and then 140 wpc at 4 and marketed it as "high current", "high dynamic headroom", etc.. As i mentioned before, he would have simply de-rated the high impedance power to make the low impedance output look even more impressive. It would still be the same amp, just with different specs. This follows suite regardless of price.

As to the 50 wpc MORE than doubling as impedance is halved, i would surely tend to believe that the 8 ohm output level has been "deflated". I would venture to say that it is probably quite a bit more powerful than 50 wpc at 8 ohms. Only testing and measurements of the actual component would verify this though.

Some amps just come closer to REALLY doubling down than others. The power output at clipping tells you the amps REAL capacity and just how "beefy" the power supply and output section really are. Sean
>
That why I mentioned cost. Generally speaking many better made (higher cost) amps come closer to doubling.