If you had 10k for pre and power amp but you had

To allocate 2K for one item and 8k for the the other, what would you do. I would go for the higher priced pre, because I hear greater differences among preamps. Do you guys agree or disagree?
darrylhifi
I have a very similar experience with Darylhifi. I have tried so very many preamps and amps and over and over, I find so few preamps really bring on the musicality and involvement. And yet so many amps, even with their differences from model to model or company to company, rarely do I hear an amp that is not musical. I must say here that I have only experience with tube products though.

My advice would be to hear as many preamps as you can in your system or one that is as close to one you are persuing. You will know when the "right" one comes along.....and it may not be as expensive as you think. There are so many incredible preamps on the used market now in the $2k-4k range. This leaves so much money available to you for powerful mono amps or a top notch SE amp or even OTL to suit your needs for the speakers. Something along a $3500/$6500 split would be what I would expect to pay for preamp/amp.

And yes, once you find that preamp, the amp you end up with may have much to do with the synergy...but it will have much more to do with the speakers it(they) are to drive.
The problem is easily solved if you buy a 2000 Supratek Syrah Preamp and spend the rest on an amp - I doubt you could find a better preamp if you spent the whole Enchalada on one alone.

Also - I would have to agree 100% with Jafox regarding the differences in amplifiers - and their similarities. Most deficiencies between various products can be made up with the right cabling - or tubes.
The price of the amp is partially dependent on how much power you require, so the equation cannot be defined by me. All I would care about is whether the preamp was a match or slightly better than the amp. If the amp is better than the preamp, then the preamp will be the limiting factor and your then wasting money on the amp.
I think there is another dimension to this argument.
I have found that, within most equipment lines, there is a price point optimum - above it, the differences are smaller, below it the magic is compromised. I can always tell when I get there during auditions. I suddenly stop listening to the sound and start listening to the music. I often have to snap myself back and remember what I am there to do.

The disadvantage of the approach you are taking is that you may settle below the optimum point for preamp while buying incremental improvement in the amp
Yes the money split was more to illustrate I honestly do not hear major differences in amps , say for example a $2000.00 Rotel vs a $7/8000.00 Mac. However yes Im thinking solid state, sounds like the tube folks have a different perspective. The post was more for Saturday night discussion/entertainment . Thanks.