Is there any such thing as a high end receiver?

I am putting together a system for a friend who knows nothing about electronics, has no technical skill, but is a professional acoustic musician and likes sound that is smooth and sweet above all else. I intend to find her some LS3/5a's and maybe a tube cd player and I don't want to burden her with amps, preamps, tuners, interconnects and the whole rigamerole. Therefore, my question: Anyone know of a receiver (under, say, $750 used) that sounds sweet a la e.g. a Grado cartridge or LS3/5a's? Do all receivers sound like Sony's?
rpfef
i'd go integrated amp as well, and there are LOTS of good choices. if you'd like to stay inexpensive, i'd go rega brio or mira.

or if you'd like to stay *really* simple, there's always the linn classik, which is a true high end cd pplayer, preamp, tuner, and amp all in one. just add good speakers and it's high-end-in-a-box.

good stuff.
I can vouch for Denon being hi-current. I've 'played' around with some Denon receiver models, and they have 'balls.'

Receivers:
NAD
AMC
Creek
Denon
Yamaha
Sony ES
Nakamichi
Marantz
Pioneer Elite
Outlaw Audio

Though, I'd recommend an integrated amp, (like others) if she doesn't need a tuner or any 5.1 stuff. You'll get more for the $$$ with an int amp.
B&K, Magnum Dynalab.

Also look at the Lynn Classik which has a CD player also, so the extra cost is worth it.

The NAD C730b is also a 2 channel audio receiver. More at the mid-fi end but still nice. See info at:
http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/C730.asp

Recommend you audition the NAD C740 receiver. I have had an older NAD receiver for about 8 yrs in a 2nd system and have been very satisfied with its performance. While it is not the best made or most attractive piece of gear, it offers sound quality that may surprise you, especially at its modest price.
I don't know if an older receiver is going to be vetoed because of it's age, look, or lack of remote, but I'd recommend a nice Luxman, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Marantz, etc. from the late 70s or very early 80s (before all of those companies started downhill). They all sound much smoother than any newer unit...especially Luxman...they're very smooth sounding. They'd also probably cost much less than $750.