please help a rookie

I planning to get my very first audio system and it looks pretty confusing.I tried to do some homework, bought stereophile and hanged on various net forums to get more info. I'll have to spend 1-1.5k on a solid amp, maybe a little less on a cd player and about the same for speakers. I listen to opera, jazz and pop, my room is 20X15, hardwood floors. I am looking at arcam A85, musical fidelity a3, rotel 1080, but any suggestions for best bang for my buck, new or used will be very wellcomed. Btw, I like the sweet sound of B&W...thanks.
dandreescu
Thanks everybody for the very interesting answers. To be onest,I did some research but way too little listening in the high-end demo room, partially because I am living in a rural area[ SC], without many dealers around...

For folks like me, yours advice is quite wellcomed, as it will be easier to select from a small number of options,when I'll visit the audio stores

B&W wise, I listened to 602s and 805s. NTS 7-9 are in my price range. Talking about money, nothing is carved in stone. I'll rather strech now a little if it is neccesary to get on the best place in the diminishing returns curve...That means I am opened to any suggestions, but the plan was to get an integrated amp/cd/speakers. I 'll get a rug, thanks!
Also, before you buy, please realize that the performance of your hifi is highly dependant on speaker positioning, and that optimum speaker positioning usually puts the speakers some distance into the room. See
http://www.cardas.com/insights/roomsetup.html
If your current room layout forces you to place speakers close to walls then you must specify this to the dealer since many speakers will not work at all well in this configuration. I'd go as far as to suggest that you'd be wasting at least half of your budget if you end up purchasing speakers which are unsuitable for your room placement.
My suggestions of manufacturers, based on my experience, mainly in European electronics (in addition to previous good suggestions) :
Speakers : Proac, Spendor, Harbeth, Epos
Amplifiers : Densen, Cyrus(Mission), Naim, Creek
CD player : Rega, Creek, Marantz (good value for money)

Also, call ahead to dealers and see if they have any used equipment you can demo. As a newbie I wouldn't mail order used equipment without a demo, but if a dealer allows you to demo you might just stumble on a bargain.

Good luck !
The Creek (or other) integrated would go well with the CDM-7NT. They are efficient 90db, so you do not need a big powerful amp. (The Creek is 85 watts/ 8ohms).

Read the thread "the most important piece in a stereo system" as this will guide you on how to allocate your budget.

You have two general categories to pick from: dynamic cone driver system or planar system. Both have pros and cons, but your room 20'x15' will accomodate either.

Having said that, I like the recommendation for the Rogue integrated at 1400 used, if you can get one. Run it in triode and match it up with a pair of efficient Coincident or Silverline speakers. Use a Rega Planet 2000 cdp (700 used) and Coincident IC, power cable and spkr. cables (500 used).

For a planar system, consider a Magnepan 1.6qr (1200 used), Plinius 8100 integrated (1200 used) and the above cdp and cables.
Hi Dandreescu.

1) Decide on your TOTAL budget. Don't forget to consider room treatment, speaker stands, cabling, rack, tweaks, dedicated AC lines. Whatever you initially spend is only the ante. You will find the need to make changes and additions as you gain experience. For that reason, it is best if you can gain sufficient knowledge/confidence to buy used. That way, when you are ready to make a change, you can sell something without taking a bath.

2) Mike C. is right on- speakers first. Most importantly, the choice of speakers will determine what kind of amplification you will need. My advice- stick with speakers that have a "benign" impdedance curve (i.e. 8 Amp nominal, without dips below 4 or 5A). This will simplify your life greatly, end up costing you less money, and give you much greater flexibility. I use Spendor speakers (BC1s driven by 30W OTL tube amp)and can't recommend these highly enough. Check out their website (do a google search). This is a company with tradition and standards.

3) You owe it to yourself to listen to tubes. There are very good and inexpensive integrated tube amps that come up on Audiogon with some regularity. One I am thinking of is the Pathos (I've seen it for about $1100). Also consider Antique Sound Labs. Solid state, you could go with a Classe CAP80 for well less than a $1000 (as long as you don't need monster power).

4) DO NOT skimp on the source. If your source fouls things up, there is no way to make up for it. If I was considering how to divy up $4000, I might go with $1800 source (you can get a very good used CD player for this), $1000 integrated, $1000 speakers. Set aside $1000 for the other things you will need.

Good luck, and post progress reports.