need amp advice

I currently have a Yamaha RXV-995 (100 x 5) that I could use as a pre-amp. I'm buying a Cambridge Audio D500SE CD player and Soliloquy 5.3 speakers. I need an amp that would be a good match for the Yamaha, Cambridge, and the Soliloquy speakers. I would also like it to maybe have a little overkill so that I don't need to upgrade it next.

I would like to use it for home theater but music is where I'm most concerned with it's performance. I'm prepared to spend $1000-$1500 and don't mind buying used if it's in new condition.

Any recommendations?
gunbunny
are you guys sure your not getting carried away? I'm talking about using a Cambridge D500SE source with Soliloquy 5.3 speakers.

I know receivers are not exactly welcome in high-end audio, but the Yamaha is a pretty good receiver. There's not much difference in the RXV- 995 and RXV- 2095, or the RXV-3000 for that matter except bells and whistles.

My local dealer recommends I keep the Yamaha and buy an amp, not an amp and another pre-amp. I appreciate your opinions, but if getting the fiance' to accept the Soliloquy over the cheaper paradigms wasn't easy... telling her I need another pre-amp and need to ditch won't fly.
You know what's odd about these forums... in this one everyone says the amp is the most important, in the Digital forum people say the source, in the speaker forum it's the speakers.

I understand the logic behind all of the arguements, but in the past 6 months I've gone from spending $1800 on 5 speakers and sub... to $2000 on mains and center channel... to $3000 on mains and center plus $400 for a CD player... to also considering an amp.... and now a pre-amp too! In 6 months, I've gone from $1800 to $5000!

So, with $4000, how would you split it?
Sorry ... it was an honest answer. I don't think the Yamaha will bring out the best in those speakers.
But I may be wrong (it's not uncommon !)
Is there any chance you could demo the various options ... if so then I'd do that. Take home a pre, a power and an integrated each costing around $1000 and see if any option is obviously better or worse than the others (noting that using both the $1000 pre and $1000 power is not an option since it blows your budget). I suspect that the question will then answer itself whether to get
1) New pre
2) New power
3) Integrated + speaker switch
4) Save it for the wedding.
Best of luck ... but don't take the dealer's advice without a home demo (or take your Yamaha to the dealer and listen to the Cambridge-Soliloquy setup at the dealer with various amps).
I can take all of it home for a few days and demo it, suppose I could do the same with the amp, and pre amp. Sounds like a good way to go.

I know the Yamaha won't get everything out of those speakers, that's why I plan to upgrade it eventualy. But I'd hate to buy speakers now to "match" the Yamaha only to upgrade it later and the speakers be the weak link then.
from what i've heard, this speaker is amp sensitive, that is with some amps it will sound boomy/shrill etc. with others it will sound wonderful. matching the amp to the speaker it in my opinion critical. there is a lot of info in this forum and in audioasylum on this speaker you should look at before you make any conclusions re what your upgrade, and future ones should be. good luck.