Would you trust a local dealer to help you put

together a modest system. (think $10k). Let's say you got tired of the whole "system building on my own thing." If you had a good local dealer, would you go take a chance on them and say "I want speakers, an amp and preamp (or integrated) that will sound good in a small to medium size family room." "I already have my sources." What's your take on this?
foster_9
I actually would trust a couple of local dealers that I'm familiar with. I do agree with Elizabeth about strangers, though. My local dealers are not strangers to me and I already know them to be "good". I would have no qualms sending someone to one of those. The owners are there every day and are likely to be on the sales floor helping customers and I think they care about their satisfaction. The hard part is figuring out which dealers are good ones. The best looking store near me is very impressive but is not the best-the best ones are either a bit shabby, small, or filled with cigar smoke but they can put together a great system and they have some of my money.
Nothing to stop you from asking them to put together a system on paper and, if possible, auditioning the stuff in their shop and if possible in your home. But before you buy you should check the internet forums and see if the advise is sound.

I wasted a lot of time and money when I first started out with high end stuff relying just on merchants for advise. Elizabeth's comments are very realistic.
I would not personally, but its always better to consult with someone knowledgeable and trustworthy when one is not sure what to do alone.

I know a local dealer that I would trust for the most part if needed. There are others I would not. It all depends...
A blanket yes or no answer is pretty worthless IMO as it depends on the dealer. The local dealer in Indianapolis (Tone Studio) is one I would trust to put together a solid system. That being said, I wouldn't do it as I enjoy the hunt.