Transformers .. Is It Just Me?

I have 2 line conditioners in my system in series -- the SR PowerCell 10SE Mark II (according to Ted_d's information, thanks) plugged into a Bybee Stealth. Frankly, with my recent experience with an isolation transformer, if I had to do it all over again I would have made different choices. I think I could have had a lot more bang for my buck. Let's just say that the Bybee Stealth made it worthwhile.

After experimenting with a lot of Bybee products I have come to the conclusion that it is hard to do too much AC cleaning. Lately, I have been doing research into balanced conditioners, isolation transformers and power regenerators. Since I live overseas it would cost an arm and a leg to have one of those mammoth balanced transformers shipped over -- not to mention the cost of the item. This is beyond my budget. So I have been looking at relatively inexpensive "alternatives". I cannot afford a balanced conditioner or balanced isolation transformer at the moment so I decided to gamble on a relatively inexpensive medical grade isolation transformer.

I found what I thought might be a good choice on Ebay. (I also found an inexpensive power regenerator. That's a story that will have to wait for another thread.) I just put this isolation transformer into my system and have been doing some A/B-ing. I have read where non-balanced transformers will have minimal effect -- but I did read (I lost the thread) where one Audiogon poster was not convinced of this. My initial experience -- is it just me? This is amazing. The holographic effect with this unit in my system is astonishing. This is unmistakable. When I unplug the unit the air around instruments and vocalists is gone. The sound is still holographic but it is not the same at all.

OK, the unit has a hum due to the internal fan. But with all but very low volume I cannot detect it. I'll have to work on damping the hum. Has anyone else had a positive experience with a medical grade isolation transformer? My unit was made in Germany by Block, by a top maker of transformers. It weighs about 40 lbs. and the toroidal is encased in resin. Do different medical transformers give different results?
sabai
Ozzy,
Most welcome. I am interested in your initial observations. My medical grade isolation transformer looked like new. I also installed it before my SR PowerCell. I did not experience the "sharp hardness to the sound" that you are observing. Actually, besides rendering the sound more life-like, it removed the edge or brightness that was still there with my SR and Bybee conditioners in series. The music sounds much smoother and more natural now.
Ozzy,
I just replaced the stock power cords on my isolation transformer and power regenerator with DIY cabling using Oyaide plugs and IECs. This is a huge improvement across the board. Highly recommended. I may upgrade these DIY power cords later but for now they are doing a great job.
Ozzy,
You may want to try putting a small packet of 1/2" x 1/8" neodymium magnets over each transformer. I get good results doing this.
Interesting... Once I have the 4 Iso's cooking, I may try with some tweaking.
Sabai, For now I prefer the Iso Transformer plugged into my Synergistic Powercell powering just my digital. Perhaps that's the way I will go.