are audiophiles different than non audiophiles ?

i have been curious as to what determines one's interest in equipment, sound and music.

is it some personality factor, just a matter of choice of hobby or is their something else?

any ideas?

i think the answer to this question explains why some have no interest in listening to a high quality stereo system, when invited for a social occasion, as was the subject of "disappointing evening".
mrtennis
Post removed 
Interesting question! It is a hobby that you have to seek out ,,its not a high profile hobby,,,you dont see billboards for high end products,or much advertising in newspapers ,shopping guides,,Its not a hobby that draws girls like classic cars or motorcycles,Ive been interested in the feeling I get when I hear a good sounding system,or good live music ,or just cool sounds from nature ever since I can remember,,when I was a kid a good song on a transistor radio could put me on cloud 9,,ive always had a thing for good sound !When I discovered that certain gear made sound,,,sound better,I was drawn to that gear as well!I am a rarity among people I know in that respect.
Ray, there is this brand new punctuation mark that has been made for the English language and you might want to check it out: it's called a period. And it looks like this: .

You are supposed to use it at the end of a sentence. I know, it sounds crazy, but I figgered "Whta the hell, I'll give it a try!" And you know what? It actually worked and folks were then able to read and understand my posts. I was amazed, I tell ya!!

I know, it sounds crazy, right? But you might just give it a whirl and see if it works for you...

-RW-
I do have a habit of checking the build quality of everything, no matter how cheap or small. I do like everything done right if possible.
Elizabeth:

The terms/adjectives you listed ("detail oriented, nervous disposition, high strung (though may have the appearance of laid back barbeque, inside they are a taunt bow), finicky, demanding, precise in some ways, utter slob in others, strong focus in areas of interest, ignore other areas") would have described 9 out of 10 of my former law school classmates.