Disappointing Evening

I had some dinner guest's over last evening. I had my main system warming up just in case there was some interest from them in audio. I have a second system that was playing when they arrived. It's a Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 9000 that my inlaws gave me a few years back. Well soon enough a couple of them were commenting about the good music, so I asked if they would like to hear my pride and joy system, mostly all tube gear that (IMO) looks pretty cool with all the tubes lit up and sounds way better than the B&O stuff. No interest at all in the tube system and they hovered around the B&O loving the way the glass door opened and the arm moved to each CD. Boy was I insulted, all the time, money and energy I have in my tube system!
markpao
Some guests could be more polite, that's for sure, even if they can't hear a thing. It's not really about audio.
I agree with Jaxwired. I think only some people are cut out for this hobby. The rest are fine with ipods. I believe that alot of people can appreciate the increase in quality after being exposed to a fine system but it may take a long time. Some notice it before others...and a select few dont ever notice it. This tells me that the way our brains process sound has alot to do with whether an increase in quality increases pleasure. My best friend was really skeptical at first and claimed that he didnt notice that much difference. After teaching him more about the different characterists of sound (soundstaging, imaging, tonal balance, layering etc etc) he started to really catch on. Today he has put together his own system and classifies himself as an audiophile. He is now able to analysis a change in my system almost as well as i can. We are 22. My issue is that many "possible audiophiles" are not being exposed to excellent sound like they used to. Therefor there does seem to be some ignorance when it comes to sound in my generation.
Good quality sound is readily available everywhere at low volume levels.

People need to get over the fact that the entire industry has caught up with the 60's audiophile crowd (who at that time had a huge advantage over everyone else).

Today, I get great sound in the car and great sound from my desktop Genelec Active speakers when connected to my iPhone and playing 128 KBPS files (even cheap digital setups sound darn good compared in a way that cheap analog never did). I could even get great sound for much cheaper - a pair of Audioengine 5's for example.

What I am saying is that great sound is readily available to the masses!!!

And, you ain't going to impress any guest unless you can significantly trump what is easily available to everyone.

IMHO, the only way you will impress people is through a demonstration of high quality sound at live concert levels. This is where major differences can still be found between ordinary systems that sound like crap as soon as you increase the volume and audiophile quality reference systems. A high quality system that is capable of sounding like a live drum set will always amaze people because all ordinary systems give you nothing but distortion at anything approaching the proper levels of live instruments.

If you want guests to be impressed then I would suggest upgrading your equipment (primarily speakers). If you don't care what guests think then quit moaning.
I tend to agree with Shadorne.

Good sound at low volumes is passe with most these days.

Most people do not care about really excellent sound and those who do seldom agree on what's best anyhow. So what's the point?

Loud and clear is more impressive! Especially in a big room!

Except if it is too loud you cannot converse with the guests so that does not work.

That model fits my experiences.
Larry's Audio Rule Number 1:

NEVER buy audio gear to try to impress anyone...it's a solitary or 'another audiophile' pursuit only. Any thoughts to the contrary only cause frustration and confusion.

Scene 1
"Hey guys look at my new stereo..."
reaction---

"Nice, hey you got any beer?"

They simply can't/won't/don't/will never, ever appreciate it...you're wasting your time.

Invite an audiophile/music lover next time.

Good listening...listen to Renee Olstead and stare at the album cover! lol
Larry