Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
(that broke to pieces on hours)

should be (that broke to pieces on yours)- wish there was a way to edit.
Greg - the current pump issues aside.

I not only have 2 ET, but started with an ET-I back in the day!

Holy Moly !

you are in a very unique position.

This thread is at well over quarter million views. I am sure many would probably like to hear the differences you experienced between the two. I know I would !

when u have some time ....

Cheers
LOL.

I'll try to respond to the ET-I vs II in more detail later this week... bottom line, I really liked the way the air bearing and arm base mounted mechanically on the ET-I and have always thought that upgrading the arm-spindle, arm-headshell, and cartridge interfaces while retaining the ability to adjust VTA and the secure bearing mounting might have made a more rigid arm.

Back on the pump, I looked at it again and see that the pump has just come loose from the springs. The intermediate shelf looks solid and the springs are still attached there. What I can see of the spring mounts on the pump look ok too.

I suspect it was banged around or dropped and that pulled the pump loose from the springs... and then it was banged around a lot afterwards to nearly pulverize the plastic housing.

I really have to pull on some rubber gloves and scrape-out all the remaining sound-deadening foam, then use lacquer thinner to remove the residue in the pump compartment as it is very gooey and sticky (and hard to clean off). It may be a few weeks before I can get to that... need to be able to do it outside and during the day in the light. But only after I do that will I be able to see the full condition.

Again, I appreciate your help and suggestions, especially on the checkout and the info for getting another regulator (I have confirmed the one I already have IS a Schrader Bellows, but again, I need a 2nd one).

One other area where you could assist... you linked to a composite picture above. One section showed the opened pump compartment. I've downloaded it, but it is pretty low-res and I can't enlarge it to see more details. Can you send me the hi-res version of that picture via email? I'll contact you by the A-Gon system to provide my email.

Again, many, many thanks!

Greg in Mississippi
I remember very clearly that one of the things that reviewers seemed to agree on when comparing the newly released ET2 to the ET1 was the more powerful and more extended bass performance of the ET1. This was described as the one area where the original bested the 2. I would be particularly interested in how the arm wand attached to the bearing tube in the ET1; amount of decoupling and any other physical differences between the two arms that might contribute to this difference. Thanks.
Frogman.

Look to the other end of the arm and compare the counterweight attachment. If you are using a low compliance cart on an ET2, this is the main cause of diminished bass extension. Calculate your FR using the ET2 manual formula. Around 7Hz or above and you are missing the lowest registers. The math on this is very clear.
Further the quite flexible goose neck and arm pillar on the ET2 don't help.