Flexi-Rack Maintenance Question

Like myself, a number of members have built flexi-racks (wood shelves, all-thread, nuts, etc.)and have used a number of wood finishes. Like some, I applied Walnut Oil to preserve the wood.

After a number of months, the surface of my shelves feel gritty instead of smooth. I can't tell if this is due to dust adhering to the oil and hardening or if it's a natural result. It won't wipe off, so my inclination is to sand it with steel wool and then wipe it off. Then what? I know very little about wood finishing.

Any thoughts?
kennythekey
try lightly a little ammonia that should lift tacky grease with dust and still maintain finish.
When you applied the oil you raised the wood surface as it was unfinished when you bought it?Otherwise it shouldnt have as it only happens once,the first time.Anyway,if its gritty it must be as dust doesnt ever feel gritty no matter how long it builds up.So yes,use a very fine,say 320 grit sandpaper or steel wool and then apply more oil.It will never feel gritty again.Some cabinet makers use water to intentionally raise the surface before they start the sanding process which usually consists of belt or hand sanding with 110 then 220 then 320,then applying whatever finish they like.Just a guess,good luck,hopefully someone deeper than I will chime in,Bob