Light bulbs are constanly burning out

Frequently, when I switch light-switches on, I burn out light bulbs and at times a breaker jumps.

I am preparing to purchase new tube amps, (I currently have a ss amp). I am worried that these surges may cause damage to the new tube gear.

I live in a newly constructed building (4yrs old) which is shared with 5 other tenants. Throughout the building in the hallways and such, there are always burnt out bulbs. Bulbs last less than 6 month on average (incandescent, halogen and fluorescent)

This seems to occur randomly, last time was in the evening 8pm, whereas the time before it was at 4:45 am.

Need I be worried?
What can be done to solve the root of the problem?
What can be done to mitigate the risks? I already have a surge protector but I only have my Pre-amp, TT & TV plugged into it. I find the amp sounds better straight in the wall.
nick_sr
I have this issue in Austin. My voltage is about 127 volts.
09-10-09: Jfrech

127V is too high... For residential customers the utility company is supposed to keep the voltage with-in (+ or -) 5%. 120V being the base line.

You should contact your utility company and ask them to check your incoming voltage. It may be a simple fix of moving the taps on their transformer to lower the voltage.
Jea48 and/or Almarg,

Can I check the voltage myself with a multimeter? If so how?

Abucktwoeighty,
To save money the construction company simply didn't supply any lighting fixtures at all!
I just checked my voltage again with a multimeter 124.7 volts....

(Nick_sr make sure you know what your doing, I just set my meter to volts, selected the range properly and stuck the leads in - BE CAREFUL)
Can I check the voltage myself with a multimeter? If so how?

Yes. Set the multimeter to read AC Volts, on a scale such as 0 to 300 volts or some such number that will assure it won't be driven past the upper limit of the scale. Make sure that the test leads are connected to the proper jacks on the meter for making an ac voltage measurement on this scale.

WITHOUT TOUCHING THE METAL PROBE PINS AT THE END OF EACH TEST LEAD, insert one lead into one of the two vertical slots on an ac outlet, and the other lead into the other vertical slot. The meter will then indicate the line voltage.

While you are at it, also measure between the shorter vertical slot (which is ac "hot"), and the ac safety ground opening on the outlet (the one that accepts the circular third prong on an ac plug). That should indicate the same voltage as you measured between the hot and neutral terminals.

Then measure between the longer vertical slot (ac neutral) and ac safety ground. That should measure 0 or very close to it.

Then measure between each of the two vertical slots and the screw which holds the faceplate on. You should get the same two readings as when you measured between each of the vertical slots and the ac safety ground prong.

If any of these additional measurements are not correct, it indicates that there is an open connection or a miswire somewhere.

Regards,
-- Al
Al,

I measure 124.5 volts, and the measurement between each vertical slot and the ground read 124.5 and 3v.

124.5 is within the +/- 5% range suggested by jea48.

What now? The reading is on the high-end. Will the voltage change during the course of the day. I took the readings in the early afternoon, this not exactly peak hours.