Local dealer cuts store in half says audio is dead

My local dealer that has been in business since 1979 has given half his store up for a marial arts studio. He told me that 2 channel audio is dead and people just come in to audition gear and buy off the Internet. He says custom installation is the only thing keeping the doors open and that has slowed down alot lately. Through the years I always tried to give this dealer business but things never worked out. The owner was very arrogant and everything had to go his way. I tried to buy my first system there 15 years ago and he would not budge on price. So I took my business somewhere else and they were happy to have my money. A couple of years ago I was looking at some new speakers so I went up the street knowing that they carried the brand. I asked the owner if I could audition them at my house for a day. He said absolutely not. He told me to bring all my equipment to the store and listen there. It's alot easier for me to take the speakers home than to take my TT, 100lb amp and tube pre-amp to the store. BTW-He had a demo pair on the floor so he could of given those to me for the night. I even told him I would give him my CC# to keep on file. Still he said no.

Well it doesn't surprise me that this dealer is giving up on audio. He never tried to offer the service that is necessary to be a 2 channel dealer. I told him that there are still a few 2 channel stores that are still surviving in these economic times. He told me he didn't believe that and that I knew nothing about the business. With that I left never to return. I hope next time I drive by he will be out of business period. He doesn't deserve to survive with his bad attitude.
taters
My impression is that the time of great boutique high end audio dealers in most cities has passed. The boutique type model has disappeared in may parts of the country. Stores close, focus frequently moved to home theater, service levels (home auditioning, hours, lines offered) dimininished. I always supported one store, because of their service - this included a great staff of experts, a welcoming approach, and a fantastic audition policy. I paid a premium to buy there, although I could have bargained. They eventually went HT, sold to a midfi chain, dropped some of their premier brands as well as vinyl.

I didn't buy another high end component for five years after they changed. The reason is that the boutique model, with expertise, great lines, and great audition policies, is what I need to buy high end.

The dealers and the manufacturers have a symbiotic relationship, or they did till HT came along.

Now, if I'm looking to upgrade an amp or speakers, chances are I'll be flying to one of the few great boutique dealers, unless the small local place happens to have exactly what I want. Which would be great, but may not happen.
...please...dont upset TVAD. For some reason (possibly his poiniant character)...I likes him :)~
Is audio actually dead or is the old marketing model just dead?
Opinions?
I have not had a local dealer for 30 years. I used to visit dealers in Chicago, LA, and DC in the past, but find they are all in the suburbs and have only a one or two products that interest me. I only once when out to visit one, found no satisfaction, and have never tried doing this again.

Your dealer's attitude is poor, but I think he is right that the internet has killed local audio dealers. There are few local dealers for anything today, with the exception of appliances, but not tvs, food, and cars. Welcome to a side effect of the internet.
Excellent question, Rja!

I believe the old marketing model is dead. I might also say the "new" marketing model of the past decade (the internet box movers) looks to be seriously leaking oil.

Where does that leave us? I think it points to direct sales from manufacturers, cutting all of the middlemen out of the equation, and hardwiring the customer and manufacturer. Beyond the fact that the manufacturer should theoretically (presuming they possess the requisite customer service skills) be the best entity to provide the customer with whatever before the sale information is required, perhaps there is a bit of a silver lining in that if my thinking is correct, the North American manufacturers may have finally gotten the upper hand over the Chinese, as the price disadvantage no longer seems to exist. Of course, there might be a bit more to it ala folks consciously choosing to stay away from the aforementioned imports for myriad reasons, but I'll leave it at that.