Local dealer cuts store in half says audio is dead

My local dealer that has been in business since 1979 has given half his store up for a marial arts studio. He told me that 2 channel audio is dead and people just come in to audition gear and buy off the Internet. He says custom installation is the only thing keeping the doors open and that has slowed down alot lately. Through the years I always tried to give this dealer business but things never worked out. The owner was very arrogant and everything had to go his way. I tried to buy my first system there 15 years ago and he would not budge on price. So I took my business somewhere else and they were happy to have my money. A couple of years ago I was looking at some new speakers so I went up the street knowing that they carried the brand. I asked the owner if I could audition them at my house for a day. He said absolutely not. He told me to bring all my equipment to the store and listen there. It's alot easier for me to take the speakers home than to take my TT, 100lb amp and tube pre-amp to the store. BTW-He had a demo pair on the floor so he could of given those to me for the night. I even told him I would give him my CC# to keep on file. Still he said no.

Well it doesn't surprise me that this dealer is giving up on audio. He never tried to offer the service that is necessary to be a 2 channel dealer. I told him that there are still a few 2 channel stores that are still surviving in these economic times. He told me he didn't believe that and that I knew nothing about the business. With that I left never to return. I hope next time I drive by he will be out of business period. He doesn't deserve to survive with his bad attitude.
taters
Audio dead, I don't think so. Yes, it is very difficult for a dealer in high end audio to have a business if they are not doing home theater, which helps carry the two channel line. The 'loaner' model is essential to make two channel work profitably. A few dealers I have talked to over the years indicated that getting into the customer's home, that is deliver the first loaner, really helps in that you get much more information about the prospect. After that, the prospect gets to pick up the item.
Honestly, I am not sure how one can survive these days in a brick and mortar dealership today. I think it's a fool's game.

The dealer simply has too many things going against him:
1) Simple business. Obviously, it takes a pretty good inflow of capital to support keeping the doors open, the lights on, and everyone paid.

2) The economy. Not much explanation needed along those lines today. Simply, for better or worse, customers have closed their wallets to a certain extent.

3) The competition. In the old days, you basically bought components from the dealers that were local to you. While not unheard of, it was rare for a guy in Maryland to purchase component ABC from a dealer in Oregon. There was a lot less selection then available to the consumer, and the competition was mostly consisted of the other dealers within a one hour drive, who normally were selling different brands. Customers more often than not either bought from the place that sold the component that offered the best combination of sound/cost to suit them or from the dealer they liked best.

For us customers, competition has proved a good thing, we have access to a lot more product, and we can get dealers working against each other in order to obtain that component at the best possible price. However, this has truly decimated the high-end audio dealer network over the past decade.

The prevailing thought today is to focus one's efforts on the more expensive components, as I've heard "If it takes me X hours to sell a component, I want to spend my time selling to the customer who is going to make me $1500 on the sale as opposed to $150." It sounds logical, and I am sure there is some wisdom in that, but I question how smart it is to basically abandon the lower ground to the likes of the internet box movers, many of which are the backbone of this site's retailers.

Facing facts, all but the more loyal or less internet savvy customers are going to find and then subsequently buy that $800 from the low/no overhead internet seller working out of his house that has no problem in selling it for $650 against the brick and mortar dealer who either can't or won't let it go for less than $725 or $750.

4) Personal interaction. Some customers will mesh well with you, and you can do business together. Others, as has been described in this thread will simply not be a good fit, and the two sides enter into either a war of wills or can't get going at all. In either instance, the chances of a customer handing over a nice sale to a business are pretty slim.

There are a fraction of the audio dealers today that existed when I first got into this hobby. I'm afraid 10 or 15 years down the line I'm going to be saying that there are a lot less dealers around than there were back in the mid 2000s.
I don't usually stand up for dealers especially if they are a bit crusty. With that being said, while visiting an audio store in a neighboring city a pair of speakers were being returned which had been out for a home demo. The metal bass drivers in both cabinets were utterly destroyed. Whoever did this was either an idiot or it was purposely done. I've never been able to ask for a home demo since.
Somethings wrong with the audio dealers in my area.
I don't wear a Rolex or have brand name clothing so they ignore me.

Mcintosh has a huge shop with a ton of gear, several listening rooms(closed doors) but I have never heard music being played. Sometimes a radio with static.
The sales staff just sits there.
O yea, never seen a customer in there either.
Strange.

The Accuphase Dealer seems to be bothered by customers.
I was buying a new amp and he would not budge on the price, not a penny.
I took a friend there who was also going to by an amp too. Still, not a discount, not a penny.

I bought a Sugden Masterclass from a dealer and the next time I was in his shop, he was trying to get me to trade up....

If you live in Bangkok, I suggest a quik flight to Singapore for better prices/service too.
Post removed