What happened to the AM/FM tuner???

I want to add an AM/FM tuner component, but apparently no one makes this any more!! Every AM/FM tuner I see for sale is integrated with an amplifier, cd-player, or other thing I don't want/need.

All I want is an AM/FM tuner with RCA line level output - no built in amplifier, no built in cd player, nothing else!!
lupinthe3rd
I find the Magnum Dynalab tuner that I bought an excellent source for good quality music, and it is free. Living in the northeast there are plenty of inependent/college stations with a great variety of music. Bought myself a decent powered antenna at RatShack and I find the quality to be quite good, sometimes better than what I get over the internet or via cable. And it is nice not having another bloodsucker draining $10- $20 per month in fees.
You should be able to find something to fit your needs right here on AudioGon.
After years of neglecting FM because I didn’t think it was worth the time or effort I stumbled upon FMtunerinfo.com and my enthusiasm in FM was ignited. I, like Zenblaster live in the Northeast where decent college stations are fairly plentiful. While there are many big corporate stations with over compressed and badly EQ’d signals, WGBH, NPR out of Boston has simply amazing sound quality and program material, classical, including live broadcasts (great sound quality), jazz every night and Celtic and others on Saturdays. This station alone has been worth the price of admission and in fact I rarely change the station. I hear all sorts of music I otherwise wouldn’t.

I have found some very musical tuners like the AM/FM Kenwood KT-5020 and AM/FM Luxman T-117. These get the high frequencies right, a weakness I’ve found with a lot of tuners. Sansui also made some excellent, but pricier AM/FM tuners like the TU-X1, 919, and 9900. There are plenty more by other manufacturers too. Two of the biggest mistakes it to 1) get a great tuner but neglect the antenna, and 2) not get it aligned.

Here’s some sad but appropriate news while we’re on the subject;

CHANGING OF THE GUARD: STEREO TV INVENTOR CARL EILERS - SK

The electronic engineer who helped develop production of high-fidelity stereo sound over the airwaves has died. 83 year old Carl G. Eilers, Friday at his home in River Forest, Illinois, on June 26th of an apparent of a heart attack.

A 50-year employee of Zenith Electronics, Eilers joined Zenith in 1948 as an engineer in the research department working on a subscription television system called Phonevision. In 1977, he became manager of research and development and led the team that in 1961developed FM stereo broadcasting. Eilers was also co-developer of another key industry standard known as MTS or multi-channel television sound for stereo TV. Zenith's MTS system was adopted by the industry in 1984.

Eilers also worked on development of remote controls, laser-disc recording and supplemental audio programming. He also contributed significantly to high-definition television and was granted 21 U.S. patents.

Eilers retired in 1997 but returned as a consultant for the company, which is based in the Chicago suburb of Lincolnshire. He is survived by his wife of Sandra; his son John and a daughter Janet Ames. (Published reports)
I highly recommend getting a Logitech Squeezebox and a good DAC and switching to internet radio instead of AM/FM. The Squeezebox gives you access to tons of channels and the sound quality is at least as good as FM in most cases. Using my Squeezebox I can access the streams of most of my local stations, although I seldom do because they all suck.
Try the new Sony HD Radio Receiver. It can be found on Amazon for $100 and supposedly it sounds great. People even complain that it does not have speakers to make it a "Radio".