Your insight on a CDP purchase

I am trying to decide on a new CD player. It has come down to a new ModWright 999ES with Platinum Signature mods @ $2600 (includes player) or a used Prima 24/192 Mk II CD player at $1400. The rest of my system:

AES Six Pac Tube Mono’s (EL34’s)
Belles 21A tube pre with Auricap upgrade
Merlin TSM-MX monitors
Cabling is TG Audio and Cardas GR

I initially wanted the ModWright but am now thinking about the additional $1200 cost over the Prima, not to mention the instant depreciation. On the other hand, I am sure the Modwright is as good as it gets or close to it for a decent price. Or does the Prima come close to the Modwright? There have been a couple threads/comments on the Modwright/Prima but any additional insight would be appreciated. I am not going to be upgrading the rest of my system (I don’t think) any time soon.

Thnx,
mattybumpkin

Showing 1 response by robm321

It's hard to beat a great player that has been modded for the money compared with a stock player. I'm not saying it's always the case, but buying something just to be done with it will cause you to have buyer remorse a few months down the road and to waste money getting what you weren't willing to wait for in the first place. Trust me I've been there. Patience is rewarding unless you have nothing to listen with right now.