Yet another Integrated vs Separates advice post

Hey Audiogon! Help me spend my money.

I've recently upgraded my speakers and analog rig and it now has me wondering if I could be getting more out of my amplification section. I've had a trusty Hegel H200 integrated amp for about 6 years and it's to its testament that until now I haven't thought about upgrading it. But the upgraditis is getting to me, especially after my analog section has taken me into a different tier on the source side.

My questions:

If my goal is to move into the "reference" quality tier (and by that I guess I mean, at least providing a sniff of the creme de la creme; Stereophile Class A-quality for lack of a better way to put it), should I take this opportunity to move back into separates? 

Second question: if my budget is around $7k, what should I consider that would be a significant upgrade over the giant-killing Hegel? Some components I'm considering:

For separates, PS Audio BHK preamp + PS Audio Stellar Monoblocks (though I'm hesitant about class D amps)
For integrated, Aesthetix Mimas, or a Luxman integrated
Someone in the running: integrateds from Krell, Mark Levinson, and Ayre

My requirements: my rack limits me to standard-sized 17"-wide components. I need at least 2 balanced inputs unless there's a built-in DAC. I mainly seek a "warm" tonality with rich midrange, and greatly value components that image exceptionally well.

My system: Hegel H200, Doge 7 DAC, Avid Volvere turntable, PS Audio Stellar phono preamp, Egglestonworks Emma speaker
hudsonhawk

Showing 2 responses by 4425

if you can stretch to 9k so you could pick up a used or demo ML 585.5 which has a very good phono section and hi rez dac. I expect the Luxman 509x is very good as well. I’ve given up separates for top drawer integrated amps without feeling any remorse and I’ve had some very good gear. if you don’t need a phono section a used ML 585 will stun you. their latest models are not dark and grayish sounding as the older models. they apparently have a super design team. fwiw
Four integrated amps that will have you not wanting more although several are out of budget.
ML 585
ML 585.5
Agostino Progression integrated amp
Luxman 509x
Dartzeel CTH 8550
Jeff Rowland(?)

Take one of these with a very good interconnect pair and power cord. Within their power range I believe that it would be impossible to determine that equivalent separates sound better. IMHO