Within a 30 day trial with Van Alstine SET 400; seeking comparisons

I’m in the process of auditioning the AVA SET 400 from Frank Van Alstine. This is not meant as a replacement for my tube amps, which I love, but an alternative to listen to and, if I get more demanding speakers or start a second system, a solid state amp would be the nucleus. I am using a tube preamp (Quicksilver line stage) and an R2R DAC (MHDT Orchid) and either a streamer or CD transport as the front end. Speakers are Salk SS6Ms (8 ohm, 87 db, stand mounts). I am auditioning mostly without my REL sub on.

Impressions: so far I like it; it has plenty of power, is nicely, simply finished. It apparently runs in Class A for the first 10 watts or so and delivers 225 wpc into 8 ohms.The ability to bring out a very clearly defined bass is outstanding; mids and highs are accurate without being edgy. I thought there might be a bit more warmth in the midrange. The soundstage is good from left to right; depth-wise, it’s narrower than my tubes and as for the 3-D quality of instruments in the soundstage, well, that’s pretty much been reduced. It’s like the difference between looking at an amazing image on an OLED TV vs. looking at a statue with a spotlight on it (with the tubes).

I’ve never had the chance to listen to a really good solid state amp — a Sugden or Pass or Belles, etc. As you can tell, I’m not expecting to replicate the sound of tubes with the solid state, but I know they can have very different flavors. I’m not sure what that range of flavors is like; maybe there is no greener grass, but I want to probe that, now.

So, my question — has anyone had the chance to compare the AVA SET amps (or other AVA solid state amps) with other, warmish solid state amps? Any impressions you can share?

I suppose I might go as high as about $3k on the amp. The reason I went with AVA was because my suspicion is that at this price point (roughly $2.2k) it’s very hard to beat.

I’m more inclined to keep than jump ship on this amp. But that is also the easiest path -- to just talk myself into it. I am going to continue to listen, let it get some playtime, accommodate myself to its sound, etc. The reason I’m asking now is that there is a window of time here to consider other possibilities and once that window is closed, I’ll be a married man. (Until an expensive divorce.)
128x128hilde45

Showing 2 responses by jjss49

@hilde45

no doubt ava ss amps don’t image like a top notch tube amps... very few ss amps do (hegel, pass/fw in my experience come closest - but still not that close)

suggest you call frank tell him what you are hearing and get his advice on those i listed below ...

https://avahifi.com/collections/hybrid-power-amplifiers/products/fet-valve-600r-hybrid-amplifier

https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/fet-valve-550hc-hybrid-power-ampli....
another...

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisaa5jf-audio-by-van-alstine-fet-valve-600r-hybrid-amplifier-soli...

@jackd makes a fair point... these amps, pure ss vs hybrid vs all tube... they of course sound different and one must be the judge of which works best in their own system, in particular with the speaker load presented

that being said, it is very interesting when a proven, highly credible maker like frank makes all three! .... clearly each is trying to address deficiencies of the other topologies and bring out the best of the particular one, voiced to the best of his ability.... tubes do the tubey thing, but don’t grip speakers that need that control, ss surely grips and extends, but often fails at the ’holography’ and ’flesh on the bones’ things... so hybrids attempt to let us have our cake and eat it too...

have fun!